Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Retaining PR of a new domain

Discussion in 'Domain Traffic / Keyword Research' started by Alien, Jun 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alien

Alien Well-Known Member

Picked up AXQ .co.uk (bargain buy of the year!) today.

I note it has a PR1. If I stick up a new site (unrelated to the old one) is it probable it will retain that PR1 or increase even?

Cheers all! :)

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. Murray

Murray Well-Known Member

PR isn't really anything important to worry about.

PR is to do with links, changing content wont cause it to drop only links being removed will + only more links will cause it to rise, how much it rises depends on the PR of those incoming links and the outgoing links on that page etc etc

Then you have to wait for PR to be updated publicly.

But again It's not really worth thinking about too much, it's a very shallow metric.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2013
  4. Alien

Alien Well-Known Member

Thanks Murray, most helpful. :)

5. Blossom

Blossom Well-Known Member

You are more likely to retain the PR with a site up, purely because some website owners are notified about/are vigliant when it comes to broken links. It does depend on the type of links though; those in news articles or forums for example are a lot more likely to stay.

It's also worth looking at a copy of the site in the Wayback Machine if possible (or Google search results if it's relatively fresh) to see if you can identify any inner pages which may also have PR/links/domain authority. You can then recreate those URLs. If you can't be bothered, you can always set up 301s via your CMS or .htaccess to redirect any potentials to the homepage. Less likely for PR1 sites, but can be very useful with higher PR sites.

6. sijugk

sijugk New Member

In my personal view your website will retain PR1 but I do not know if Google will consider the current backlinks as spam if you change the niche. It is because after changing the niche, all the backlinks becomes from unrelated niche sites. If it is me in your position I do not worry too much, I just go ahead and continue my works with new site (new niche).

7. PaulGregory

PaulGregory Active Member

On a related note, I have picked up the domain ecoten .co.uk - I have no idea why it is coming up as PR5, seemingly it used to redirect to a page on a different site.

How can I keep it at PR5 if I have no idea why it has this ranking? Is the ranking check reliable?

8. Blossom

Blossom Well-Known Member

It's showing the PR of the page it was redirected to, it will lose it in the next PR update.

9. PaulGregory

PaulGregory Active Member

I've seen that happen with domains that both pointed to the same site, but I've never seen it before on a homepage -> specific page redirect like this.

Oddly the page it used to redirect to hasn't been live since 2011 and currently that URL has no PR (and the homepage of the domain it linked to is only PR3).

I'm sure there's probably something clever I should be doing with this, but equally it's possible to do something momentously stupid.

10. StevieD

StevieD Member

Retaining PR is extremely easy..Put a site up, even a holding page, but make sure it is not a copy of what was there before, especially no duplicate content. Sure fire way of losing PR is stealing content from archive.org Google are not stupid :)

I actually work a great deal with high PR and aged .coms so I'm not too sure about .uk but .coms hold the PR if you do not try and replicate a previous site

11. Murray

Murray Well-Known Member

Inaccurate garbage.

It can be exactly what used to be on the site before.

What if your hosting runs out on a site, you only notice a couple of months later then reupload your old site? you think google would punish that as duplicate content?

Of course not, it's not "duplicate" if it's what used to be on the site, unless the previous owner has since moved domains put the old content on the new domain.

I personally know of many domains that have expired and had their old content put back on, they keep their PR.

12. StevieD

StevieD Member

It can be exactly what used to be on the old domain if you owned the original content.

If you are happy stealing content from an old webmaster to put on a new site on the same domain then you go right ahead.

Do you think that indexing sites don't check out who owns what? Perhaps google is not sophisticated enough to figure out that Stephen stole content from Murray..... If you think you can get away with stealing content from archive.org I'm not judging you, go right ahead and do it. But don't call me out for telling the truth.

13. Murray

Murray Well-Known Member

We can argue if it's morally right, but we can't argue they will retain their PR, because again, I know of many sites that have had their previous content put up without a problem (in terms of google).

You may be telling the truth in your opinion, but in reality I have seen the evidence to know I'm 100% right.

14. StevieD

StevieD Member

I'm not going to argue with you. If you are happy catching domains and stealing content nothing I can say will deter you. People like you will always exist.

15. Retired_Member38

Retired_Member38 Banned

Nobody is saying pinching content is right - but if its from a long dropped domain the chances of anyone knowing or caring is slim to non existent.

And the morality or legality of it wasn't your point originally - "Sure fire way of losing PR is stealing content from archive.org Google are not stupid" was and its simply wrong. The content on the site has nothing to do with the toolbar page rank. Though your page rank knowledge credibility went out the window on that other domain sales thread didn't it :D

16. StevieD

StevieD Member

Did it? Are you asking or telling?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.