Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Revenue way down

Discussion in 'Sedo' started by zee, Oct 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zee United Kingdom

zee Well-Known Member

..anyone else on sedo pro, revenue levels have fallen noticeably , over last few weeks , some down 50% , even with new keywords, any info????...z

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. Brassneck United Kingdom

Brassneck Well-Known Member

Same here - revenue all over the place, a few good days and then many disappointing one. Would be really good to get some official Sedo comment on what's been going on.

Stephen.

4. denchomsky United Kingdom

denchomsky Well-Known Member

I think you may just get the standard answer that seems to come from both sedo and namedrive "pm your portfolio and we will have a look at it e.t.c" which is all very well and seems like good PR, customer relations (the personal touch) i am not knocking this but what would be nice to see would be a percentge revenue breakdown of earning's made by the parking company and how the profits are divided.

A bit more transparency would maybe stop people moaning about ppc rates, and maybe leed to a bit more understanding when rates seem to fluctuate.

A monthly report with relevant figures ( Not just promo and PR related info) would be very useful, this is a serious business with alot of money being made by Parking companies on names that we own, surely a bit more info is not an unreasonable request?

5. zee United Kingdom

zee Well-Known Member

sedo

....I did not pay attention at time ,but there was something from sedo about some change over or something to that effect, that would affect domains but sort itself out.....but drop on 'good' domains is drastic....z

6. zee United Kingdom

zee Well-Known Member

revenue down

...still trying to work out how.....
    Better earnings: First, we’re now passing more of the earnings on to you. Sure, this means less revenue for us, but we’re hoping you’ll tell your friends about all of the money you’re making with Sedo parking, so they’ll park with us too! Second, we’re now using a new feed from our advertising provider, which will impact both CTR and CPC for many keywords. Although our tests show that the new feed performs better overall, some keywords will perform better than on our existing feed, and some will perform worse. Thus, you’ll want to double-check your optimization to make sure that you’ve picked the most relevant keyword possible, and follow the advice in our Guide to Choosing Money-Making Keywords.
    ....done that..still waiting...............z

7. sedo Germany

sedo Sedo Staff

Hi all,

@Zee- please keep in mind that most of your top earners (actually, most of your portfolio) are related. So if there are trends in that general industry, your portfolio will show it in a major way. In looking at your account, though, it is possible that some of the keywords may not be the absolute best choices. I would suggest getting in contact with your account manager about finding some better fits as far as keywords are concerned.

@denchomsky- Most parking providers have signed contracts with advertising providers which does not permit them to disclose actual nominal values. Doing this actually allows parking providers to pass along more to the end users (the parking clients). Some providers may name percentages of revenue share, however confusion is created because it is unclear where the percentage comes from--the advertiser or the advertising provider.

Kind regards,

Brad
    brad.tilley@sedo.com

8. sedo Germany

sedo Sedo Staff

Hi Stephen,

This is the result of the advertising market place. Sedo does not assign the prices to the keywords. Rather, the EPC is determined by how much advertisers wish to pay per click. There is a separate market for this. Our new system takes advantage of this market, in that the prices Sedo pays out directly correlate with what the advertisers are spending per click. If the advertisers are not paying as much per click, EPC and RPM in your account will decline. If advertisers pay more per click, EPC and RPM will rise.

The main issue here is that advertisers want to be in the 1st and 2nd slot on parking pages. To do this, they have to outbid other advertisers. If advertisers can do this by paying very little, they obviously will do that. There are, however, some genres in which advertisers must pay several euros per click to be on top. The revenue you earn will reflect that, as well.

Kind regards,

Brad
    brad.tilley@sedo.com

9. wwwdomain.name

wwwdomain.name Well-Known Member

On the money... Sedo...

Growth in drought... 'Hybrid Keywording' as I like to call it...

Understanding this gives the power to continue growth when others are failing...

It's not parking programs that are responsible for drops in rev...
    They are just channels through which the it flows...

To use an analogy... Look at the source... Not the pipeline...
    If the source changes its volume then you have to change your filter...

Apply this principle and you'll see the difference...

Last edited: Oct 19, 2006
  10. Brassneck United Kingdom

Thanks Brad

I think I understood all that already. What is more difficult to appreciate is the day to day variability across an entire portfolio with around 1500 names and more than 5000 views.

For example compare 10 and 17 October for me -

Views up 10%
    Identical number of clicks
    So, click thru ratio reduced from 10% to 9%
    EPC reduced by about 15%
    Earnings down by 15%

So 10% more views producing 15% less comparing same day on two different weeks.

I could many other examples. The point is that I still don't really understand the volatility. If I had a small portfolio with a handful of big earners then it would understandable, but my revenue is derived from an extremely wide ranging portfolio. Is the volatility something we are going to have to get used to or are there ways of managing this? Everytime I think I am doing really well I seem to be brought back down to earth with a bump a few days later!! For obvious reasons the uncertainty is unhelpful for those of us trying to build a business.

Is the volatility a by-product of your supplier's revenue volatility? I would imagine that although there are seasonal and day to day differences in advertising, the changes over short periods would be quite subtle.

Stephen,

11. wwwdomain.name

A look at the global currency market might help...

Runs 24 / 7 - constantly morphing... IMO - keywords are no different...

You have to stay 'liquid' to maximise everything...

12. Brassneck United Kingdom

Any chance of explaining that in simpler language please? Surely you don't mean I should be changing keywords 24/7? Seeing how it often takes best part of 24 hours to change and up to 3 days at the weekend this is not likely to practical.

Stephen.

13. wwwdomain.name

If you deal in the FX you'll always get the best rate above base (bank) rate, if you do it right...

The FX 24/7 illustration was their to emphasise 'liquidity'....

Likewise, you have to stay 'liquid' in keyword choices...

Striking balances along the way, for overall portfolio performance...
    Just as you would set 'stops' in trading the global equity markets...

I'm of the opinion now that 'keywording' is still one of the least understood areas of domaining...

14. zee United Kingdom

zee Well-Known Member

sedo earnings

....ever upset a wasp's nest when young, and while running away while being stung , try to understand what people are saying , that's how I feel....z

15. zee United Kingdom

zee Well-Known Member

sedo

....Brassneck...yes , as clear as mud....z

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.