Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Review's welcome

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi

Looking for a bit of feedback on my latest website please.

Jobs Liverpool

Its easy to get design blindness when building these things. So does it look ok design wise would you have any issues registering uploading a cv etc as a user.

I'm intending on getting a better logo adding some content TC's

Cheers in advance.

Anthony

Nothing like a good old fashioned 'under construction' message over a white background in the browser's default font. For what it is I think it's great.. :p

Nothing like a good old fashioned 'under construction' message over a white background in the browser's default font. For what it is I think it's great.. :p

Lol forgot about that should now be visible

Design-wise it looks fine. But it's a duplicate content nightmare mate.

If you're gonna have a serious go at ranking this site, I'd noindex the job listings entirely. You don't have the domain authority to pull that off and it's only gonna cause you problems.

If you're chasing rankings, for say "accountants jobs in liverpool", then you can always work the 'latest accountancy jobs' feed into that page on your site (headlines only or iframe it), so long as you flesh it out with a shitload of good content etc.

Design-wise it looks fine. But it's a duplicate content nightmare mate.

If you're gonna have a serious go at ranking this site, I'd noindex the job listings entirely. You don't have the domain authority to pull that off and it's only gonna cause you problems.

If you're chasing rankings, for say "accountants jobs in liverpool", then you can always work the 'latest accountancy jobs' feed into that page on your site (headlines only or iframe it), so long as you flesh it out with a shitload of good content etc.

Yeah I agree.

Return to search is probably a big issue with job sites like this too. I'm not sure where this adds much value, just looks like another me too job site.

How does this site make cash? Is it just paid job listings?

@ChrisMM Thanks mate I agree its certainly an issue whilst I'm so reliant on Backfill I'll have to see how easy it will be to do with the software.

@PanzerWagon I'm just testing the waters with this niche but yes primarily major income is from paid listings/CV database access.
From what the big boys appear to do secondary income can be gained by redirecting users to training providers an CV writing services etc.

To start with I'm not worrying to much about attracting Employers I just want to build up a job seeker user base so I have something to market to employers.

For me there is no focal point on the home page.

My eyes do not know where to look.

I think the main problem is the 3 column layout adopted does not work for this type of content, I think you should have 1 sidebar (on the right) with all your related content (sign in, featured, job news...etc)

Also use the section titles to seperate the content clearer.

The HTML is pretty poor, there are far to many unecessary <div>'s in the mark-up, you dont have to wrap every element in a <div> to be able to style it.

SEO wise the mark-up is not going to help at all.

Some pointers:

1) You're forcing a redirect to the .uk only version of the site but the logo still shows .co.uk. Bit confusing, pick one and stick with it.

2) Space it out some more, there's no reason the content below the header can't be 2 columns.

3) Get and use a favicon, every bit of identity helps.

4) Featured companies is too cluttered and draws attention away from the reason people should be on the site. Move featured companies further down the page and make it less priority and cluttered.

5) The number one reason people will visit your site is to search for jobs, make the job search stretch 100% of the left hand column and make it big, bold and first thing they see.

6) Again make it two columns, at the moment 3 columns is really not working especially with the unequal widths of the right and left. The left hand column will then be the focal point with your search, categories, areas, featured and latest listings.

7) Grammar problem on the register page, "Add your CV and let recruiter's find to you (optional)", find to you?

8) The about us page looks ridiculous http://www.jobsliverpool.uk/about/

9) So does your terms of use http://www.jobsliverpool.uk/terms-of-use/ again very unprofessional

10) I doubt people will register when you don't even have terms of use in place. Also I always advise adding SSL certificates to registration and login pages now, it's just imo what people have come to expect.

Will add more when I got time later because there is more.

Last edited:
@denchomsky thanks for taking the time I'm going to look homepage structure.

@DaveP Awesome thanks for the detailed feedback I appreciate it. The Logo, terms favicon were all on my to do list but your right need sorting ASAP. going to look into your other suggestions as well.

Again thanks all for the pointers

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom