Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Sales email

Discussion in 'Business Discussions' started by grantw, Jan 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grantw United Kingdom

grantw Well-Known Member

Chaps, I'm trying to put together a sales email to promote some of my domains. Does anyone have any sample emails they've used in the past to give me some inspiration?

Appreciated, Grant

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. accelerator United Kingdom

accelerator Well-Known Member

I wouldn't call myself an expert at the sales e-mail, but I keep it very brief as I reckon people have short attention spans. I basically say here's the domain I have for sale, please feel free to e-mail me your offer, and here are the reasons why you might like to own it (I link to the page to keep the e-mail brief):

http://www.keyphrasedomains.co.uk/benefits-of-a-generic-domain.php

Rgds

4. Brassneck United Kingdom

Brassneck Well-Known Member

I think the brief approach might be best. What sort of success rate do you have?

Cheers
    Stephen.

5. Bailey United Kingdom

Bailey Well-Known Member

I agree, don't waste your time putting your logic and words onto a subject matter that your intended target will aready consider themselves an expert of. Words that may appeal to one recipient will often alienate another.

Even if you prefer a an email reply - Always, always include a contact phone number, It demonstrates your willingness and professional approach to discussing or negotiating. (Preferably two numbers. day & evening).

Don't just randomly select who your sending your enquiry to - the amount of people that try to sell me a domain because I hold the .com gets on my tits.

There are many other things you should consider depending on the nature of the domain and who you've identified to send it to - but by keeping it short you've erased almost any chance of getting it wrong.

6. accelerator United Kingdom

accelerator Well-Known Member

Well, I've only ever tried selling 2 domains by sending e-mails, neither sold. I have also tried selling 2 domains by letter, and made one sale ... first ever attempt at sending letters I sold the domain, which was nice.

Rgds

7. wb

wb Well-Known Member

What price range are the domains Grant? The below could perhaps be a useful start.

£xxx domains = short email
    £x,xxx domains = longer and more detailed email
    £xx,xxx+ domains = call to find out the appropriate contact, follow up with an email/letter and sales pack

I haven't tried many end user approaches, only tried emails for an £x,xxx domain and that sold and a few telephone calls for more expensive domains. If you are offering the domain, you will probably have more luck converting with a specific price rather than leaving it open to offers (leave room for negotiation).

Edit: For anyone who hasn't seen, Phil @ DomCollect wrote some great tips on marketing domains here too. Will probably more be useful when spending time on your very best domains.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2011
  8. Bailey United Kingdom

Bailey Well-Known Member

Yes, good advice above.

I see the most difficulty in selling domains as in other profession, is the skill set required - No offence intended but those with a code-building mind-set are not always the best adapt at working successfully in a sales environment. Of course there are exceptions but those few tend to be at the very pinnacle of their game.

In most sales environments, it's gaining that inital flash of interest thats the door opener, Most company decision makers are overwhelmed by information overload and trust me they know/learnt how to filter out superfluous material.

If you want one single best bit of advice make sure you put your best effort into that one-line in the subject header - and for sales (dosen't apply to buying) Don't expect to be taken seriously if your using a free email service. and thats if you get past the email filters.

9. foz

foz Well-Known Member

Personally, I would stay away from this route. To much like spam.

10. grantw United Kingdom

grantw Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the advice so far, it's greatly appreciated.

Grant

11. fish United Kingdom

fish Well-Known Member

Your blue widgets could do with a bluewidget domain

One mans meat and all that. I have had good success with the email approach, from sending both personalised and blind (dear colleague) proposals.

You can't beat a one to one chat to sell however it's not always possible to reach the person or indeed find out who that may be. You therefore imo have nothing to lose by sending an email.

Consider what would get your attention from the subject line of an email.
    I have had a couple of successes with: "Your blue widgets could do with a bluewidget domain name"

Not saying it works every time but the key is to research your recipient, if you can't get to speak to him/her, let his secretary/colleague know you'll be sending him/her an email, cc her in too (that way you can ask for her email addy and use same email address format for the man if you haven't already got it...)

Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.