Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Scotland?

Discussion in 'General Board' started by boxerdog, Jul 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boxerdog

boxerdog Well-Known Member

Can anyone recommend a nice place to stay in Scotland? we are looking to go for a week in October. Must be close to a loch and have stunning surroundings. 2 adults and 2 kids.

Cheers.

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. MCNM United Arab Emirates

MCNM Well-Known Member

4. The Ferryman United Kingdom

The Ferryman Active Member

The Isle of Harris, strikingly beautiful.

or most of Shetland.

Recommended.

Bruce

5. cc976a United Kingdom

cc976a Well-Known Member

For me it has to be near Inverness. It's on the door step to Loch Ness with a ton of B&Bs with stunning views.

I hired a cottage for a couple of days about 10 miles from Inverness. It was practically in the middle of nowhere - it was so dark if you stepped outside on a moonless night you couldn't see your hand in front of your face.

Very relaxing and tranquil trip

6. The Ferryman United Kingdom

I was in Inverness yesterday doing a "quick" job which took three hours, absolutely pissed down, soaked to the skin in the five minutes it took to get back to the car!

Never try to park in Inverness, they detest visitors, they have hit squads who pile out of a minibus to issue parking tickets. Everywhere is marked as loading bays, but don't dare unload there, they will still book you. Pay and display in Morrisons car park is best.

Traffic is a nightmare, though, Inverness is best avoided, one of the most unwelcoming places in Scotland.

Regards

Bruce

7. retired_member16

retired_member16 Banned

Tip - Dont stay in one place, you will get bored to tears, unless you like walking and stuff.

We fly to Glasgow, picked up a hire car and drove here to "The Lodge On Loch Lomond Hotel" spent the next couple of days driving over the top or Lomond, down to Stirling (dont ever bother with Edinburgh castle, do Stirling instead) and then ended up in Edinburgh.

Great 5 days that.

8. boxerdog

thanks chaps for the info, all lovely looking places.
    I`v just got off the phone to a friend who goes every year to Linnhe lochside holidays, its on loch Eli near Corpach. close to Ben Nevis apparently.
    We like long walks so fingers crossed this should be nice (better be the wife's just booked it)

Thanks for the tips :D

9. The Ferryman United Kingdom

It is lovely all round that area, climb Ben Nevis, or take the gondola up Aonach Mor. It rains a lot in Fort William, not heavy, just a constant light drizzle (because it is surrounded by mountains), so take waterproofs and you will need something to keep the midges at bay.

Have a great time.

Bruce

10. dougs United Kingdom

dougs Well-Known Member

forestholidays.co.uk

Met the MD on Friday and he said the Scottish one in Argyle is modern and sunning

Doug

11. boxerdog

Thanks Bruce, it does look stunning.
    I cant wait for the 8 hour drive with a travel sick son :rolleyes:

12. Brassneck United Kingdom

Brassneck Well-Known Member

If you have never driven up there then the A82 along Loch Lomond and then trhrough Glencoe is amazing.

I've done about 50 munros over the last 10 years so happy to recommend one or two family friendly ones if you are keen. Just back from 4 days walking up there.

Fort William is my least favourite town - has a bit of a wild west feel to it. But as long as you don't intend to be in the pub on a weekend evening you'll have a great time.

Stephen.

13. The Ferryman United Kingdom

Send him up on the train!

If you like runs in the car, go up to Spean Bridge, then over to Newtonmore and Kingussie (where some of the Monarch of the Glen filming was done), it is just beautiful that road.

Bruce

14. cm1975 United Kingdom

cm1975 Well-Known Member

Funnily enough when I read the original post, the Lodge on the Loch was my first thought. Not terribly far from the airport for any travel sick kids and not terribly far from civilisation for those rainy days in October.

Having just come back from a week in Fife with 3 kids, it's important to have things to do when the weather is not so good .... and that was July!

15. Lovekraft United Kingdom

Lovekraft Well-Known Member

Have to recommend a trip to Isle of Arran, very scenic and has many a lovely long walk. I see your booked now but i definitely recommend it for a future visit. I've been 4 times over the years and still keep wanting to go back.

16. Pred United Kingdom

Pred Well-Known Member

yes.
    the mediterranean :D

17. boxerdog

Might be a problem with that as I don't fly :D

@Brassneck yes any info on some "easy" munros would be nice, cheers.

18. Brassneck United Kingdom

Brassneck Well-Known Member

This site is brilliant - http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/

There are various filters you can use to choose an area, difficulty, length etc..

Stephen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.