Domain Manage

SEDO getting worse?

Discussion in 'Sedo' started by bens, Jan 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bens United Kingdom

bens Active Member

Is anyone else finding SEDO is getting worse? The traffic through the site seems to be on the decline and the comissions on parked pages are appauling. To top it all, i've just sold a domain through their premium auction event for $90 and paid $50 comission! Auctions don't seem to make half as much since the ending auctions were moved off the homepage :mad:

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

3. bb99 United Kingdom

bb99 Well-Known Member

Domainlore has an excellent page showing all the current Sedo .co.uk auctions (and recently ended ones). It is ironic that I visit that site to see them rather than Sedo's site.

4. bens United Kingdom

bens Active Member

True. Why they can't include this on their homepage i don't know. Surely it would be in their interest.:confused:

5. retired_member30

retired_member30 Retired Member

Agree with you all about the relegation of .co.uk on sedo to conference league status.

As Edwin said in another thread we need a dedicated .co.uk homepage highlighting .co.uk auctions. The service levels also need to improve on domain management and transfer of domains.

Agree also that revenue is at an all time low (although it does appear to have hit the bottom). We've noticed that loan, finance and insurance clicks are often paying barely more than jobs, holiday, etc. Are advertisers really paying so much less for their finance and insurance traffic or is it not being fed through to the domain owners? It would be interesting to hear from any acorn member who buys finance and insurance traffic (and other higher paying keywords) thro' google adwords. Are you getting this traffic at a quarter or half the cost of a year or two ago?

There is still good money to be made from trading in good quality domain names. It's all about buying at the right price and trying to improve portfolios so that you are holding domain names that return at least the reg fees (even at these low levels of PPC) or stand a good chance of getting a decent bid from an end user in the future.

6. sedo

sedo Sedo Staff

You can set the market activity page as your Sedo Homepage.

You can see the featured auction box there and has a tab to the auction schedules.

Market Activity-Sedo.co.uk

7. retired_member13

retired_member13 Banned

Of course you can adjust the way the interface is presented, but I don't think anyone working with domains would pretend that the Sedo redesign has been a good thing on any level - it's made a functionally poor site even poorer, which is quite a feat.

Talk about opening the door wide and inviting the competition to the party!!!

Lets hope that the '10 changes are slightly better thought out.

8. tifosi United Kingdom

tifosi Well-Known Member

Sure, you can set the market activity page as front - and even then it loses this if you log into any https page - but you're missing the point.

Unless I've missed the option on how to do it - and I trawled the site trying quite a few -you can't restrict the market activity widgets to show (or at least prioritise) .uk domains instead were subjected to garbage .coms/.nets/.info/.es/.de etc.

And if you log in as a guest - which most buyers will be, especially if you implement the 'no account required' rule - you don't even have these options.

S

9. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member Exclusive Member

It would be really fantastic if someone from Sedo could SOMETIMES at least stop blowing the company's trumpet, and simply and unequivocably admit that some things A) are broken, B) are poorly implemented and/or C) are worse than they used to be.

Companies mess up. Big companies mess up more. Sedo got big...

The shame of it is that many, many people have been feeding Sedo clear suggestions for improvements for years, only to have the overwhelming majority of such overtures deflected with a platitude. Doesn't anyone there realise that they're effectively getting free access to the expertise of hundreds of experienced domain sellers on a piecemeal basis everytime somebody gives constructive advice relating to something that's clearly not working out?

Last edited: Jan 29, 2010
  10. sedo

sedo Sedo Staff

I understand that some of you are not happy with the new site.

I have passed every bit of feedback that people have posted on here to the Website Manager and I am still collecting if anyone has improvement suggestions and can tell me what they don't like and what they need on the website.

There are changes coming this year in regards to the search facility and all feedback is being taken on board in relation to the website for example we are looking at removing the stock photos that people have complained about on Acorn. There will be other changes as well.

Kind regards

Joanna

11. fish United Kingdom

fish Well-Known Member

he giveth with one hand and taketh away with the other

12. bensd United Kingdom

bensd Well-Known Member Exclusive Member

Have you had any positive feedback about the new site?

13. sedo

sedo Sedo Staff

yes we have had some positive feedback and the number of domain names searched for are up since the change of the website. I am just a messenger so as I said please send me your feedback and I will happily pass it on to the powers that be. I can't get anything changed without serious constructive feedback. The more feedback I pass on the better.

PS - I am a she! not a he!

14. dotNetFreak

dotNetFreak Well-Known Member

A very minor point, but it looks like the ad banner on the right hand side is being called via http and not via https which causes a ""This page contains both secure and nonsecure items. Do you want to display the nonsecure items" when logging in and viewing any subsequent pages with IE7.

Any chance you could pass it onto your Web developers and ask them to fix it please.

15. bens United Kingdom

bens Active Member

While I'm sure everyone will appreciate the removal of the stock images, I feel more attention is needed on the functionality of the site rather than the look. I personally preferred the appearance of the old site but in my opinion the removal of the dashboard style homepage including current auctions and current market sales is just as bad for Sedo as it is for users of the site.

I've had many arguments over the years with web designers about style over function but in my experience - no matter how good a site looks, people will not use it if it's difficult to use.

Edwin is quite right, not only does this forum contain a big target audience for sedo it also has huge experience in all areas of the web. And most people are willing to give free advice. A luxury which most businesses don't have.

I would be interested to know how the latest premium auction compares to previous ones. I know my recent sale wasn't the best domain around but to make just over £20 after Sedo fees - I’ll be thinking twice about applying for premium auctions next time as I’m sure others will.

http://www.acorndomains.co.uk/sedo/64250-recent-sedo-premium-auction.html#post231617

16. digitalquill

digitalquill Active Member

as dotNetFreak says the insecure alert on every page load is very frustrating... Schoolboy stuff really?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.