Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Sedo Sale: positive.co.uk 10,000 GBP

Discussion in 'Sold Domains' started by Acorn Newsbot, Nov 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. invincible

invincible Well-Known Member

I'm certainly not trying to look at it from the sellers perspective because the decision to sell for an amount is entirely a personal one. Introducing that into the thread strays from my point that I feel that this domain name is worth substantially more than £10k. :)

(from iPad - K)

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. PoshTiger United Kingdom

PoshTiger Retired Member

For once, I agree with invincible. It's a nice amount to have before Xmas but the price is more of a trade price than an end user price.

It's one of the best domains in the .uk space IMO.

4. markb United States

markb Active Member

I would have thought 10k is quite high for a domain like this, good as a brand though.

5. invincible

Nice to know about differences in opinion. I think it is a brand name and wouldn't likely expect to see it being used generically. As a one word brand name it seems strong. I'd have wanted substantially more than £10k for the positive attributes it conveys. :)

(from iPad - K)

6. scottmccloud

scottmccloud Well-Known Member

I don't like it really, not sure what if could be used for.

The first thing that came into my head when I saw the word 'positive' was HIV and AIDS. But that's probably due to growing up in the 80s and the shock and awe AIDS and HIV+ adverts that we were subject to.

7. TallBloke

TallBloke Active Member

Interesting feedback with a couple of you of the opinion that the name is worth much more.

Frank Schilling recently tweeted:

"When you sell a premium domain name for a lot of money, the buyer always thinks it's worth more, and the buyer is almost always right."

I tend to agree with that.

But, as with any asset, until you sell it you don't realise a gain/loss. Of course there is potential income to be derived from it while you own it.

I think I might've been able to sell it for a higher return ...but I've no idea how long I'd have to wait for that to happen.

John

8. mojoco United Kingdom

mojoco Well-Known Member

It's undeniably a great name, I like it a lot. However, stating that you would have wanted substantially more implies that you would potentially be a good buyer for the domain. I often find myself saying/thinking the same way as you suggest wrt to certain premium domains. Here's a 64 million dollar question ...

How much would YOU have been prepared, willing, and able to pay for
    it as a speculative purchase? Please answer the question without critique and further questions. Just an answer.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2014
  9. invincible

What you appear to be suggesting is that in your mind the word "positive" overwhelmingly infers HIV+ (a condition which can sometimes lead to AIDS)? I recognise your memories of the adverts that were broadcast in the late 1980s on British television because I also remember them. As a young child at the time they frightened me and that was what they were designed to do! At the time medical science knew a lot less about this than they do today.

Obviously the word "positive" has many connotations, aside from HIV+. We really shouldn't be afraid, or avoid, using the word just because of the association with a medical condition.

If someone asked you "Scott, are you a positive person?", would you answer what they were asking or would you feel you had to clarify it with "not in the HIV+" sense? I'm asking because I am considering whether you might fear using a word because of its association with the medical condition. :)

As a brand name, and putting aside the potential association with the medical condition, "positive" should be viewed optimistically. It's short. It sounds "charged" (i.e. like electricity) and is easy to spell and to speak.

10. invincible

If a client of mine had wanted the name for a specific purpose I would have suggested they budgeted far higher, based on the assumption that I had been its hypothetical seller. What I couldn't possibly have taken into account, until I approached the actual seller, was what their price expectation was. At £10k I'd have done cartwheels. :)

11. mojoco United Kingdom

mojoco Well-Known Member

That's all fair enough, however my question was directed at you, not your potential client.

How much would YOU be prepared to pay as a speculative purchase ?

12. invincible

I don't agree with your rationale for asking this question of me. I would not have been a motivated buyer of the domain name. I would be a motivated seller and would have refused £10k for this domain name. I can't pretend to be such a motivated buyer either. Otherwise see my previous response.

(from iPhone)

13. deluxedomains

deluxedomains Well-Known Member

nice to see all the different views on this name but as long as the seller is happy with the price that is what matters. as I said in my earlier post congratulations and well done

14. invincible

How do you presume this opportunity might have come my way (i.e tallbloke offering to sell me the domain name for £x)?

(from iPhone)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.