Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Sedo Sale: wardrobes.com 9,999 GBP

Discussion in 'Sold Domains' started by Acorn Newsbot, Jan 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Acorn Newsbot

Acorn Newsbot Junior Member

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. Systreg

Systreg Well-Known Member

Is Frank getting the beers in?

Nice sale if it was still you who owned it :)

4. Retired_Member42

Retired_Member42 Retired Member

It sold for $20k in 2012 apparently. Not such a good deal if it was the same owner.

5. woopwoop United States

woopwoop Well-Known Member

Depends. The exchange rate means $20k is £13.2k so possibly a ~£3k loss, but if they made >£3k while owning it, it's a potential gain. Who knows.

6. Systreg

Systreg Well-Known Member

I remember him posting about it at some point, I thought it was later in 2013 when he got it but, having had a look at old posts, he was in possession of it in Oct 2012, I'm sure he'll let us know either way.

7. DaveP United Kingdom

DaveP Well-Known Member

Terrible sale. Worth a heck of a lot more than this.

8. Retired_Member42

I'm not a big fan of the domain personally. It's too specific. You seldom get companies solely making wardrobes without additional bedroom or furniture in general. It would make no sense to brand yourself as Wardrobes.com unless you solely made wardrobes. Sure it might have worked to generate sales a few years ago but as we all know, that is no longer the case.

I think this is just one of those names that look good as it's a product everyone knows/has but in reality, it's extremely poor as a brand name and useless for an SEO play.

9. martin-s United Kingdom

martin-s Well-Known Member

Agree. Too specific to spend big money on.

beds.com would be different, but wardrobes seem like a purchase you'd make with other furniture rather than alone.

10. DLOE United States

DLOE Active Member

11. Retired_Member42

12. BG United Kingdom

BG Well-Known Member

I think a name like this would have been a perfect fit for someone like "Sharps". I actually pictured seeing Wardrobes.com sitting alongside the Sofa.com TV Commercials etc... and it still wouldn't surprise me to see such an advert in the future.

Some people will say its cheap, some people will say its a great sale... I will simply say its a price which clearly ticked Frank's box, and knowing Frank he will put that money straight into something else which he believes will benefit him more.

Imo it was a nice $20k gamble when he originally purchased it, and clearly someone else is prepared to take that very same gamble today. I feel its a win win for both parties.

In principle Wardrobes.com sounds like a £100k+ domain, yet in reality we all know a domain is only worth what someone is prepared to pay for it (in this case that was £9,999 GBP). Personally i would have held out for more, however, if an opportunity arises whereby i could trade in an asset which i wasn't using for something of the same value which i believe has more potential, then price wouldn't come in to it and I'd sell in a heartbeat (which is what i think Frank has done here).

Congrats to both parties x

-BG

13. websaway United Kingdom

websaway Well-Known Member

excellent post, looking from all perspectives. Refreshing.

14. domainseller200 United Kingdom

domainseller200 Well-Known Member

This wasn't my sale - I sold this ages back for more than £9,999 to someone on here :)

I feel one of the reasons this would have only hit £9,999 is because to bid over £10,000 you have to be verified and approved by Sedo first which can take a few days.

15. newguy United Kingdom

newguy Well-Known Member

Agreed. I get fed up in general, not specific to here, that everyone feels they need to take a side or a stance, else they're 'sitting on the fence'. Whatever happened to giving a rounded view.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.