Domain Manage

Selling a domain via Sedo - confused

Discussion in 'Sedo' started by lhw455, Feb 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lhw455

lhw455 Member

Hi all

First post here, long time lurker!

I've just sold a domain via Sedo and have now been instructed to transfer the domain to the new holder. The domain is registered with 1&1, so I have logged into https://contract.oneandone.co.uk/ to transfer the domain to the new owner. However here is where I get confused - SEDO has supplied me with the email address of the new owner, however when I go through the transfer process at 1&1 it requires a tag - I've requested a tag, but SEDO insist I don't need one? What do I need to put there?

Thanks in advance

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

3. foz

foz Well-Known Member Exclusive Member

Log on to your Nominet account and initiate the ownership transfer there.

Transfer

4. lhw455

lhw455 Member

Thanks, does that mean I need to set the tag to Nominet first in the 1&1 contract screen? My account with Nominet does not have that domain listed?

Apologies for the stupid questions.

5. foz

foz Well-Known Member Exclusive Member

6. lhw455

lhw455 Member

Thank you very much for your help foz, and I apologize once again, but I am still confused. The domain is not registered at Nominet, and therefore when I follow your instructions in the second post, I cannot proceed (typing the domain into the domain box dosen't allow me to go forward). I can select my one other domain that I have registered there. Do I not need to set the tag to "NOMINET" in the 1and1 contract link first?

7. grantw United Kingdom

grantw Well-Known Member

No, every domain has an account at Nominet, completely seperate and nothing to do with your 1&1 registrar account.

If the domain is not showing in your Nominet account try resetting your password, this will usually refresh your domain list.

https://secure.nominet.org.uk/auth/access-your-account.html

Grant

8. grantw United Kingdom

grantw Well-Known Member

Also note that Nominets system works on the email address associated with the domain name so make sure you're using the same email address that's associated with your 1&1 account.

Grant

9. lhw455

lhw455 Member

I think this must be the key - I've just updated my 1and1 account with the same email address, will try again in awhile, I'm assuming this takes some time to propogate.

Thanks very much all for your assistance, hope this solves the problem.

10. grantw United Kingdom

grantw Well-Known Member

Did you try resetting your password at Nominet for the email address that was originally associated with your 1&1 account at the time the domain was registered? That will probably solve your problem.

Changing your email address at 1&1 will probably not help in any way.

Grant

11. lhw455

lhw455 Member

Thanks, I've just done this and success! Thank you so much, I didn't think this was supposed to be difficult (or else I'm just a noob)!

12. grantw United Kingdom

grantw Well-Known Member

It shouldn't be difficult but it is, especially when that bug's been around since day one. They should either fix it or let people know about it on the login screen.

Grant

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.