Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Selling to spammers?

Reaction score
(I think there was a thread about this a while back, but I couldn't find any recent discussion so...)

Does anyone try and market their domains to spammers? By which, I mean replying to unsolicited commercial emails from supposedly UK-based entities where you own a domain name that's 100% relevant to, and clearly better than, the one they're emailing from?

If so, did you see any success? Any tips or advice?

(I think there was a thread about this a while back, but I couldn't find any recent discussion so...)

Does anyone try and market their domains to spammers? By which, I mean replying to unsolicited commercial emails from supposedly UK-based entities where you own a domain name that's 100% relevant to, and clearly better than, the one they're emailing from?

If so, did you see any success? Any tips or advice?

I don't think too many people would want to help spammers and scammers cause any more trouble.

By taking a payment you would have to make sure they are legitimate otherwise your potentially involving yourself in money laundering, profiting from the proceeds of crime, maybe even more serious charges.

I don't think too many people would want to help spammers and scammers cause any more trouble.

By taking a payment you would have to make sure they are legitimate otherwise your potentially involving yourself in money laundering, profiting from the proceeds of crime, maybe even more serious charges.

That's a good point, thanks.

I figured if they have a UK Ltd company that shows up in Companies House and a matching website they're probably legit enough, but maybe that's too low a hurdle.

Also, there is a difference between a spammer and a scammer. The former is promoting their product/service using unsolicited commercial email (which isn't necessarily even illegal depending on how carefully they're choosing their recipients, see http://www.lawdonut.co.uk/law/sales...tising/your-email-marketing-and-anti-spam-law for example) and the latter is out and out dodgy. I'd never even think of trying to sell anything to any entity that was obviously involved in scamming people or committing fraud!

I'll give you an example: today, I had an email from a company promoting a service for "factoring invoices". They had a .co.uk website, which had all the stuff you'd expect to see i.e. "About Us", "Contact Info" etc., a geographic phone number that matched their alleged location, and a limited company that was on the register. So I replied briefly and politely saying I didn't need their service right now, but I did happen to own the domain "factoringinvoices.co.uk" in case they were interested it.

Last edited:
You clearly have a better class of spammer than I, most of mine use Gmail addresses :( ...and try to sell me SEO!

If they have a uk ltd company and the emails are like you say, then that would be good enough for me, and like you I would have tried to sell them one also.

Just hard to filter out the micro companies who spam so as to put their other hats on and scam or sell on using the data gathered.

If I owned your portfolio i would have the confidence to pick up the phone to anyone and say I'm from Memorable Domains. Memorable equals pound signs all day long so a great opener.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members online

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom