Domain Manage

Should I register the .uk if I own the .org.uk but not the .co.uk

Discussion in 'Domain Research' started by max99x, Jun 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. max99x United Kingdom

max99x Well-Known Member

Okay here is the situation.

Big company use a generic .com domain, I have a site on the .org.uk , the .uk is available to register... do I register it and move the .org.uk to the .uk ?

Is this allowed, can said big company try and get it off me ?

Edit: just gone to order a .uk for another .co.uk i own and it seems I won't be able to get the .uk of the .org.uk anyway as have to be .co.uk owner, so.... ignore this question :)

Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
  2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

3. humble pie United Kingdom

humble pie Banned

This is interesting in some ways.

Hypothetically lets say the joescafe.UK was available and you register it, does Nominet see the .UK as a completely separate domain/entity from the .co.uk

What chances would joescafe.co.uk have punting a DRS on joescafe.UK, I wonder the same with joescafe.co.uk Vs. joes-cafe.co.uk too, maybe this has been discussed before apologies.

It has to be acceptable for similar named businesses to expect to have a similar domain.

4. mat United Kingdom

mat Well-Known Member

You say the .uk is "available to register"

If this is the case then you can register it without any problems. I take it though that it is actually reserved for use for the .co.uk owner?

5. accelerator United Kingdom

accelerator Well-Known Member

Yes, joescafe.uk would be reserved for the joescafe.co.uk owner.

Hypothetically, had the .uk been available to you, I would have said register it in a heartbeat, as it's much better than the .org.uk.

6. devilsrefugee

devilsrefugee Active Member

7. humble pie United Kingdom

humble pie Banned

you've all completely misunderstood what I talking about in my post.

8. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member Exclusive Member

You're asking: Does ownership of "joescafe.co.uk" provide ammunition to go after the registrant of "joescafe.uk" in a DRS if for some/any reason "joescafe.uk" had been available to register?

I believe it would certainly be something that some "joescafe.co.uk"-type owners might be tempted to put into their DRS cases, but I don't think it would in and of itself prove decisive in a DRS ruling. It's just another factor to be weighed up.

Since Nominet have NOT taken the tack of promoting .uk as a direct replacement for .co.uk, it is reasonable to believe that there should not be an automatic expectation to be able to own "your" .uk if you own the .co.uk.

That said, it's easy to foresee a spike in DRSes come 10 June 2019 - but that's not the same as saying that the .co.uk owners will win them.

9. anthony United Kingdom

anthony Well-Known Member

That's a bit like a mechanic screwing up your car, but then charging you more to put the mistake right!

10. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member Exclusive Member

With 7 days to go to the 1-year anniversary of .uk, it's probably not worth rehashing the old argument about the "need" for it or lack thereof since it exists, for better or worse, regardless of what anyone thinks about it...

On the other hand, the issue of whether Nominet is doing enough to promote its availability is still as topical as ever.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.