Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

small html based local gym website

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
www.bearpark-fitness.co.uk

wondering if you guys could give me some feedback and pointers on this site please, just a small html coded website which I made, just for a small local volunteer run gym/fitness suite that I volunteer to help run.

only has a few pages as I wanted to keep it really simple as a lot of people who use the gym are just local people, mums, elderly people etc...

Basically to tell people our opening times and prices as well as post any news if we have any.

And comments, critique, suggestions welcome.

Thanks

In the kindest way possible it looks terrible, looks like a template straight off of dreamweaver, very 90's.

You can make some really nice sites with wordpress nowadays, if you know some css you could edit up a free template to look pretty sleek.

In the kindest way possible it looks terrible, looks like a template straight off of dreamweaver, very 90's.

You can make some really nice sites with wordpress nowadays, if you know some css you could edit up a free template to look pretty sleek.

not even dreamweaver quality in all honesty, I coded it entirely on notepad just so we had something for times and prices, but yeh, I understand its way too basic and old looking.

It was done nearly entirely with tables, but with a bit of photoshop help I think I could get it looking a lot smoother and more upto date, I just dont like using free templates in all honesty, though might try and add a bit of css, though i'd need to refresh my knowledge in it first.

Aside the truly awful design... what’s the excuse for out dated information “lands end fundraiser” over a year ago? did they do it? what was raised? Outdated info makes visitors question if anything is right times, prices etc. If it’s for the community then try and get a spirit of that link or list other things going on fetes, trips etc a bit about the benefits of using the gym, oldest, youngest member, before after etc its for a community show them it’s a friendly place? Atm it says "we can’t be arsed?” not come check us out….

Last edited:
I'd stick with dark text on a white background, even if you do intend to keep it basic. Text should always be contrasting.

Perhaps if you need some inspiration, try going to freecsstemplates.org, those templates can be coded/changed by hand or imported into an editor. It'll make your site look better and teach you a bit more about CSS and appearance.

How a website is built shouldn't have any reflection on the design, they are two separate elements.

Why don't you look at some templates and competitors gym sites and see what you like/don't like and come up with a design from there

Try building one with Bootstrap by twitter.
Easy to use, modern looking and great on mobile devices :)

I think the sites fine.

Does what it says, classic design, nice and clear - it's retro..google will gobble your site up a treat - just like it was 1998 all over again. :cool:

Most people here are jealous you can actually hand code in notepad, rather than a one-click install job..

www.bearpark-fitness.co.uk

wondering if you guys could give me some feedback and pointers on this site please, just a small html coded website which I made, just for a small local volunteer run gym/fitness suite that I volunteer to help run.

only has a few pages as I wanted to keep it really simple as a lot of people who use the gym are just local people, mums, elderly people etc...

Basically to tell people our opening times and prices as well as post any news if we have any.

And comments, critique, suggestions welcome.

Thanks

I'm definately jealous of your hand coding skills. :)
Wish I could work a site from scratch.
If I could code I wouldn't use templates, keep going at it and improve what you have got. Something original!

It does look old fashioned though - yep 1990's.
Because of that it immediately just gives me the impression that the content is out of date & I want to move away.

Just simple things for me though could make a difference.
- The colours are dull and don't work together - brighten it up.
I don't like the full width, it stretches your content out too much.
Everything is just text linked, again the old fashioned look. (a bit more coding needed)
These few changes alone would bring it up to date a bit.

I'm not a coder - but I'm guessing you probably have the skills to jazz it up a little.

Nice job.
All the best
Mike

My initial thought when i saw this website is the color scheme and fonts are not to my liking and the homepage was a little stubby. PLus's It does what it says on the tin, great clean, easy to navigate ui giving you the information you need. Maybe you could make the pale blue colour just white to suit the wider viewer.

Last edited:
Maybe you could make your background light blue, or your head text a white color, can't read it very well :)

I always think of the colour combination before starting a project, what niche your are in and the image your trying to portray. if you are building a site for a business/corporate image it should look completely different to Gym based design, I applaud you for using notepad for this...personally couldn't/wouldn't attempt it...

try looking on this site for ideas and invest in a old dreamweaver software from 2004, and have a play with it...

http://www.colourlovers.com/web/trends/websites

Mark

Not a very nice design , you would be better of finding a free wordpress theme i think

The member who started this topic was last on the forum on April 15th ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom