Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Someone knowledgable on cars?

Discussion in 'General Board' started by Pred, May 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lovekraft United Kingdom

Lovekraft Well-Known Member

Nothing wrong with wanting to keep an old car alive, we are quite a wasteful country when it comes to cars. Most people would have scrapped the car over the tiniest minor fault, they would rather buy a new car that will only depreciate rapidly in value or replace it with another car that will only come with it's own set of problems. Volvo's are built to last, just keep it maintained and change oil once a year and it will keep running smooth.

I'm still using an old '89 1.6i orion as my daily.. it's a lot of fun and if anything does go wrong it's a cheap fix, and i can often learn to fix most problems myself.

Have you thought about joining a volvo owners club type forum (sometimes you get model specific forums too)? loads of people there would know exactly what's up and would be happy to help with the part.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. Pred United Kingdom

Pred Well-Known Member

agreed

just to say THANKS to everyones advice
    I may just join that volvo forum looks very good but more a U.S forum I think from all the lefthookers

THE DUCHESS IS FIXED and back home

cost?

one roll of gorilla tape: £4.95
    one greencan of fuel to top up low amount getting through: £7.77
    total: £12.75
    lol

I was actually just chatting to my daughters grandma as she's poped over for a cuppa about the cars we've had over the years and what they're worth now

if anyone here at acorn is lucky enough to have a smallholding and a large barn or something (my dream) where you can store any old car rather than scrapping or selling to breakers, they will rise more than gold

remember the old metros you gave away or sold to breakers for £20?

look what they're going for on ebay and autotrader, and that's a bloody metro
    we all know what cortinas go for, wonderful cars, thousands upon thousands

I've let triumph heralds, mini coopers, old 5 series bmws (all old at time and broke down when sold to breakers or towed) for peanuts
    beetles, and the list goes on

I love old cars, old things in general, old houses, old music (great music never gets old, sorry)

It's actually mindblowing how much even 15 year old motors go for, it's a nostalgia thing I think, and the fact you can have a tinker around and get running for a reasonable amount, if a car has bells, whistles, computers etc, you're knackered if one thing goes

anyway, all good fun, fingers crossed she keeps to her word

keep truckin' lol

4. Pred United Kingdom

Pred Well-Known Member

just to say thanks for the brilliant post

5. Pred United Kingdom

Pred Well-Known Member

cheers deliajen

you were one of the car genius' on here I was hoping would post, thanks

6. Lovekraft United Kingdom

7. Lovekraft United Kingdom

Basically yes, once a car reaches a certain age it get's past the "banger" stage and slowly becomes a classic, which pushes the price of them up.

I've always enjoyed older cars too, they have a bit of character.

The uk volvo club is at http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/ ;)

Sounds like you would like retro rides, a few old volvo owners on there too, but basically anything older goes:

http://retrorides.proboards.com/index.cgi

8. Pred United Kingdom

Pred Well-Known Member

that's it in a nutshell

thanks a lot, I may just join that volvoforum.org.uk one , cheers

@delijaen if you do start up a car forum, partic for older cars, not quite classics, like etypes, but the 'before they're classics' angle you may just find that popular niche, and you have the knowledge

I'd join, and give you a couple of high pagerank backlinks for free
    I'm sure a lot of acorn members would join as I know there as lot of real petrolheads on here

you wanna see some of the cars some people own like Barry and Chris from Caught, wow!

9. retired_member32

retired_member32 Retired Member

i was just wondering if the baffle cones on the inside of the exhaust box have collapsed, we used to pull it out with wire coat hangers, its like horse hair and if it blocks the exhaust it will prevent the car from starting...

20 year old car here in malta is classed as a new car :rolleyes:

10. Pred United Kingdom

Pred Well-Known Member

lol
    no, been going on for a few weeks

the lambda sign disappeared once I taped up the air ducting, it was split in every recess all the wall down where rubber had perished

in fact I'm not sure how I wrestled her to Derby last week, overcame laws of physics on that one

I'm gonna see how she goes after I give her a long run out tomorrow, top her up and see if any probs after that
    if any probs starting I'll get a new battery, then it's going to garage for a full checkup if anything after that

touch wood, she''ll be okay for sometime

11. lee United Kingdom

lee Active Member

LOL - That happend to my missus 20 years ago. She had convinced herself that someone had killed the last owner and that her head was rattling around in the sump.

When that stuff comes out its the weirdest thing!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.