Domain Manage

Spoke to Nominet today....

Discussion in 'Nominet General Information' started by lazarus, Sep 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lazarus United Kingdom

lazarus Active Member

I was chatting to a guy from Nominet today about a general query when the conversation changed to .uk

He was insistent that the right to .uk stayed with the original ownership and when a domain name passes to a new ownership, the right for the .uk drops and it is FTR

This is contrary to my thinking. Is there under any circumstance this could happen?

He also told me that they have been telling people of this in some email?

Maybe someone has more info.

Laz

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

3. Adam H

Adam H Well-Known Member Exclusive Member

Just tried to register a .uk of a recent .co.uk sale to test and it wouldn't let me register it.

I would assume its only if the domain drops the .uk TLD waives the rights and not a normal transfer of ownership.

4. Rob_F United Kingdom

Rob_F Well-Known Member

Rights carry when a .co.uk is transferred, always. If a .co.uk drops, any rights to .uk also drop and both become available of a first-come, first-served basis.

- Rob

5. lazarus United Kingdom

lazarus Active Member

Thanks for the reply.

As I questioned him further. He said "when ownership is transferred" as in a domain transfer.

That's good.. I did hope he was getting muddled up :)

Laz

6. redbird United Kingdom

redbird Well-Known Member

My understanding is man at Nominet is mistaken, rights only drop when domain drops and they do pass to new owner on a transfer.

A simple NOMINET whois lookup on .uk shows who has rights and seems to support my assumption. Nominet man can't argue with his own lookup system.

7. Lovekraft United Kingdom

Lovekraft Well-Known Member Full Member

agreed, the man at Nominet is definitely mistaken, i've bought a .co.uk where it had .uk rights but not yet registered and i then successfully registered the .uk after the transfer.

.uk .... i still wish they'd not launched it, it's hardly been a roaring success so far and it just muddles everything.

8. Lucky Luke United Kingdom

Lucky Luke Active Member

9. Rob_F United Kingdom

Rob_F Well-Known Member

About the only good thing with new (I use that word loosely) domains is availability. As the .uk zone mostly mirrors the .co.uk one, that doesn't exist with .uk, yet.

Don't get me wrong, I think it is absolutely right that .co.uk holders got first dibs on .uk, but perhaps locking them down for 5 years was a touch generous.

I still reckon .uk will come out on top but that process is going to take time. Probably a 2-5 years after .co.uk lose their exclusive right to register the .uk version, possibly even longer.

- Rob

10. redbird United Kingdom

redbird Well-Known Member

Had meeting with a client yesterday and we briefly discussed .uk domains and his take on it was that they were expensive. I hadn't realised that registrars were charging more for .uk over .co.uk.

Having just checked on 123-reg it seems they charge £6.98 for co.uk and £11.98 for .uk. This is no doubt contributing to the slow take up.

11. cm1975 United Kingdom

cm1975 Well-Known Member

I had some email correspondence with the MD of a large registrar, when .uk first came out, and his view was that .uk was a premium domain, even when compared to .co.uk, hence the pricing.

12. Retired_member41

Retired_member41 Retired Member

Nominet at the end of October are letting registrars give away the .uk to rights holders. Free 1 year. If your a large registrar and you give lots away with a big renewal price you will be quids in.

This won't be the last giveaway. By deadline day the take up will be huge.

13. monaghan United Kingdom

monaghan Moderator Staff Member

I saw the email and I thought that was a good move for next year's renewal revenue :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.