Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Strange direct traffic

Discussion in 'Domain Traffic / Keyword Research' started by davedevelopment, Jul 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davedevelopment

davedevelopment Well-Known Member

I got a strange email the other day, it was a lady asking me why she was getting shown a page offering the domain uniqlo.co.uk for sale when she was trying to get on their website. Sure enough she provided a screenshot of my domain holding page, showing uniqlo.co.uk in the page and in the browsers address bar. I assumed that her ISP had a DNS issue or something.

Anyway, taking a look at my stats today and there's all sorts of strange type in traffic going to my holding pages. Is it something to do with the way I have my DNS server setup? My DNS server is set up to route any domain I don't specifically setup to that holding page. I can only assume, that somewhere in the DNS chain, my server is being asked to resolve hotmail.co.uk etc?

Attached Files:

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. awgthomas

awgthomas Active Member

Misread last post

Last edited: Jul 22, 2010
  4. jimm United Kingdom

jimm Active Member

Certainly an interesting one.
    It looks like your dns is not open and I cant think of any scenarios where it would be asked for give a record for hotmail etc.

5. davedevelopment

Hmmm, anyone heard of an ISP called Ogilvy & Mather? I assume they trade under a different name.

Attached Files:

6. dotNetFreak United Kingdom

dotNetFreak Well-Known Member

7. dotNetFreak United Kingdom

dotNetFreak Well-Known Member

Actually it's more likely it's this netblock which is in the same group of companies as the organisation matches...

http://whois.arin.net/rest/net/NET-199-229-190-0-1

More than likely they've got either your IP address listed as a forwarder on an internal DNS server or a machine is misconfigured with your IP listed as a DNS server which is causing requests for anything to be redirected to your site.

I just checked your DNS server and it points me to your site for www.hotmail.co.uk :D

8. davedevelopment

Emailed the original lady who reported it to me, she works there :)

She's gone to speak to their IT department.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.