Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Suspended generic pre-nom

Discussion in 'Drop catching Domain Names' started by marcuscent, Mar 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marcuscent

marcuscent New Member

Hi - looking for a little advice from the experts here. I registered a UK domain back in 1996 pre Nominet. It's a nice generic domain and could have some value. Problem was that the registrant name was a company that I was working for at the time. Ownership was verablly agreed with the people that used to own the company some years ago. As a result I now have the name on my tag. The original registrant no longer exists and Nominet want me to prove ownership. I can't do that easily. They have said I can have until the end of week 1 April to verify this or the name which is already suspended could be lost.

Question is.. if I do let Nominet let it go is there someone who would be willing to work with me on catching it back. Happy to pay anyone who can secure it for me..or work on a deal if we think it's worth the effort. I wont divulge the name at this point but its both memorable and generic. Thanks...Marcus

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. retired_member27

retired_member27 Retired Member

Surely you can contact the ex director of the old company and get him/her to write a letter to Nominet on your behalf explaining the situation.

As for catching the name with the help of a forum member, you could be lucky but if the name is really good (pre-nom domains are generally sought after) then there's a good chance you will lose it as every man and his dog will be after it.

IMO your best bet in keeping it is to try and prove you are the true owner, if you can't do that then I'm afraid your chances are quite slim.

4. invincible

invincible Well-Known Member

It's debatable whether this will do you much good. If it's suspended, I'm watching it and so are many others. :smile: I highly doubt many, if any, will try to register it for you for a "catchers fee" when they could simply keep it then sell it for a lot more. If you get one person going after it, you'll have a slim chance - if they throw the entire tag at it at the right time (which is anyone's guess). However I imagine that many tags will be going after it, based on how you have described it.

Good luck but if you really want it, you'll probably have to get your cheque book out after the drop. :neutral:

5. domaingenius

domaingenius Well-Known Member

Was it a UK Limited Company that owned the domain ?.Did the Ltd Company go into liquidation ?. What did you give for the asset of the company (i.e. the domain name) ?.
    Were you a director of same. These are all questions that
    you would need to answer to get a reply on that score,

DG

6. Dave123

Dave123 Member

Looks like the best that marcuscent can hope for is that whoever catches the domain is willing to sell it at a price that he can afford.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.