Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

TAG advice please.

Discussion in 'Nominet Tag Holders' started by pendragon, Oct 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pendragon United Kingdom

pendragon Well-Known Member

The question is,"Is it worth me getting my own TAG?"

I have approx 1000 domains scattered around 4 registrars. Most are either with sedo or whypark. I'd say only 30 are genuine live sites.

Is there any benefit in me getting my own TAG? What is involved? What are the costs?

Any opinions most appreciated.

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. Paullas

Paullas Super Moderator Staff Member

i would say yes just so you can monitor the domains if anything.

4. redbird United Kingdom

redbird Well-Known Member

Remember that you will need some way of administering them. ie renew change nameservers etc. You will either have to write your own scripts or I think people on here offer a service, I can't remember who but I'm sure they will find you :)

Fees etc http://www.nominet.org.uk/governance/members/faq/

Dave

5. retired_member3

retired_member3 Retired Member

It's a gamble. I've just got a script etc together, have tried for just 2 domains so far and missed (1 was a 3 letter). If my script doesn't compete then it's been a waste of money in my eyes. Will have to use it to offer droplists or do a deleting style site???

6. monaghan United Kingdom

monaghan Well-Known Member

There's a lot of reasons for a TAG, DAC access is the obvious reason for drop catchers, for consultancies (like us) it removes the dependance on 3rd parties and we have a TAG which matches our name (far better to explain to a client that using 123-reg or 1and1 :))

If you have a large portfolio, then over time you'll probably save a few £'s in time, however if you make frequent changes and pull all your domains into a single tool, then the time (cost) saving of not manually submitting requests via 3rd party control panels would easily justify the expense.

To manage the domains you could either use a hosting billing system with Nominet support or write your own with a bit of PHP (or your preferred language) in an hour or 2. (Drop catch would be a bit more than this :))

7. aquanuke

aquanuke Well-Known Member

You've only been at it 5 mins , took me 3 years to get my script where it is :D

Pen, I offer a web based TAG admin which is £10pm
    http://www.caught.co.uk/TAGpanel.php

8. retired_member3

retired_member3 Retired Member

3 years! I'm far too impatient for that! I want 3 letters and quality generics and i want them now! is there not a button i can press? is there no one i can bribe? I used to be a mason you know! :D

9. retired_member16

retired_member16 Banned

Pen wanted to know about becoming a tag holder - free - not becoming a member.

I say yes, its worth it, foe the added security more than anything

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.