Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Tag Costs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I have been looking into the costs of becoming a tag holder and so far I have the following breakdown.

Nominet Registrar: Can't find any fee for becoming one, it's probably berried somewhere hidden away.
DAC Fee: £25 (£30)
Membership Fee: £400 (£480)

I know there are cost benefits associated with becoming a member, but can you become a register without becoming a member, I can't afford to this close to Christmas, plus I can register domains with 1&1 (for example) and just change the TAG.

Can you choose your tag or is it chosen for you?

* ExVAT (IncVAT)

The fees are here:

http://www.nominet.org.uk/become-registrar/fees

Membership (Joining fee) £480.00 (Inc VAT)
Annual subscription £120.00 (Inc VAT)
Domain Availability Checker Annual fee £30.00 (Inc VAT)

Which is £630 including VAT, then there's the annual fee of £120 to renew your membership subscription.

Your tag is usually your surname, you may be able to choose the tag name if you're a registered busienss and want the tag to match your business name.

Yes, if you register domains at 1&1, you can do a tag change to your tag, although I don't know why you would want to use a dodgy outfit like 1&1 for domain registrations, but if you do, make sure you remove them completely from your account, otherwise they'll still charge you renewal fees and then send debt collectors to you if you don't pay for something that they could not have renewed. Do a search on the forum for them and see the crap some people have been through with 1&1.

Last edited:
So I have to pay the Annual fee on-top of the membership in the first year, or is that inclusive?

Your tag is usually your surname, you may be able to choose the tag name if you're a registered busienss and want the tag to match your business name.

I remember asking during the process what mine would be because I wanted "murray", but when I asked they already had chosen Murray for me so I was happy with that :cool:

Ring them up and ask them tomorrow Daniel, the staff are very friendly and helpful I've found.

+ It will be £120 in August for the yearly fee.

Yes, if you register domains at 1&1, you can do a tag change to your tag, although I don't know why you would want to use a dodgy outfit like 1&1 for domain registrations, but if you do, make sure you remove them completely from your account, otherwise they'll still charge you renewal fees and then send debt collectors to you if you don't pay for something that they could not have renewed. Do a search on the forum for them and see the crap some people have been through with 1&1.

Oh, I know all about 1&1, and there collection company, I had a letter from them this morning for a domain I registered over three years ago, and no longer had, the contract is cancelled in full as soon as the tag change has been completed.

The problems I am having are with CrazyDomains, used there £1 domain for about 70 domains, and I am now still, after three months trying to get a tag change, I have got about 60 of them done, just seems like a slow process.

Ring them up and ask them tomorrow Daniel, the staff are very friendly and helpful I've found..

Thank's Murry, I'm not sure what I wan't yet, I did notice that if you register after Feb 1st you get a 50% discount on the yearly fee, so will be after then, possibly even when I get my bonus from work.

The one thing that did get me was on the Registrar application, it asks five questions, that seem to be aimed at those that intend to sell domains, on a regular basis, can I put a note saying there for company use only or do I still have to fill those out?

Just put "For personal domain portfolio management" in the questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom