Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

TAG holders claiming client's domain names.

Discussion in 'Nominet Tag Holders' started by retired_member12, Sep 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. retired_member12

retired_member12 Retired Member

Have there ever been any cases where a TAG holder has hijacked or claimed a client's domain as its own?

I recently changed a TAG of one of my suspended domain names after noticing it had suddenly been renewed and pointed elsewhere. I renewed it on principle!

Surely this undermines the whole trust element of the TAG holding community?

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. rob

rob Founding Member

Which tagholder did this?!

4. Jac

Jac Active Member

Not knowing the full facts I don't know if the TAG Holder acted inappropriately or not, but if you feel a TAG Holder has acted inappropriately you could bring the matter to Nominet's attention in the first instance because Clause 1.6 of the Tag Holder Agreement says: "The Tag Holder will not knowingly process applications in respect of non-existent Applicants or where the named Applicant has not requested the domain name to be registered to it."

Even if a domain name is in a suspended state but still shows you as the legal registrant, the Tag Holder has no right to amend details or point it elsewhere without your instructions; you are still the legal registrant until it is deleted by the Registry.

Regards
    James Conaghan

5. retired_member12

retired_member12 Retired Member

I did bring it to Nominet's attention, and i felt it was best under the circumstances to simply change the TAG. Without taking a screen shot at the time, i'll hold back naming them publically. However, let's just say that at least i didn't have to pay a release fee!

6. gimpydog United Kingdom

gimpydog Active Member

Hold the front page

There is at least one tag holder who renews customers traffic names at 98 days & parks them with an "enquire about this domain" link on the page.
    Anybody who monitors suspended names for a while should be able to detect this.

Of course, as the registrant name does not change, they could just be doing this as a service for their forgetful customers & passing on the revenue, in which case it is a very thoughtful & considerate act for a limited company and should be applauded by everyone here.

7. retired member 1

retired member 1 Retired Member

[Tag = ENOM] by any chance?

8. gimpydog United Kingdom

gimpydog Active Member

Nope....A bit closer to home than that

9. aquanuke

aquanuke Well-Known Member

1&1 do it, dont they?

10. gimpydog United Kingdom

gimpydog Active Member

1&1 use a auto renewal system. ie. if you don't cancel the domain they renew it & try to charge your credit card.

They have also introduced a Sedo lander for 404 errors - I think you have to opt out of this if you use their hosting.
    My domains that are sat on their servers only show a 1&1 placeholder with no ads.

I've never seen them renew a suspended domain for their own benefit, although I've heard lots of stories of them renewing a name even after the registrant has requested a "return to nic".
    This happened with one of mine & in fairness to them they did not charge me for the renewal & the domain is still in my account.

More a case of incompetance than anything dishonest!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.