Domain Manage

Tax - self assesment

Discussion in 'General Board' started by disruptive, Jan 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. disruptive

disruptive Well-Known Member

I'm having trouble with the online form and where to put down TAX that has already been paid on account. It's driving me nuts and the TAX office are really busy. Anywhere know where those figures can go, I see no option.

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

3. gregfindley

gregfindley Active Member

Hi,

I had the same issue, they don't have an area to add this on your return, so you submit the return as usual, then once all processed it shows on your overall account/amount to pay. Waited on the phone about 40 mins to ask someone about this a few weeks back.

HTH
    Greg

4. wb United Kingdom

wb Well-Known Member

It should calculate it all for you taking what you have paid into account after submitting.

Edit: Should have refreshed before replying :)

5. disruptive

It is not showing the previous payment and I think this might be due to moving over from paper to online. So when I get the amount to pay it does not take into account any of the previous payments...

In the end how did you pay?

Thanks.

6. gregfindley

gregfindley Active Member

How long ago did you submit the return? There's a delay of at least a few hrs before it starts showing...

7. disruptive

Did it this morning and nada. It says I have nothing to pay. Upon viewing the account I get:

View account

You have nothing to pay.

You can view a history of your account.

8. mat United Kingdom

mat Well-Known Member

Hi,

I take it you are referring to the 2 payments you have allready made on account for 09-10.

Complete your tax return as usual. The total they give you will have stated underneath something like. "This total does not take into account any payments you may have allready made"

Basicly, take away what you have allready paid for the year, from the total they give you.

ie.... Your tax return shows you owe £5k, but you have allready paid 2 lots of £1.5k for year 09-10, simply pay them the remaining £2k you owe. If they owe you any money they will pay it to your bank.

9. wb United Kingdom

wb Well-Known Member

They were lying when they said "tax doesn't have to be taxing" :D

10. disruptive

I'm still not getting anything in the account section such that I can pay it. Will this be updated? At end of filling the form, I get the figures I need to pay, but nothing as yet in accounts, will this pop up eventually?

B

11. disruptive

Yep, yesterday the system was down, very annoying. Could not even fill out the form. Today it magically worked despite all protestations that it was working fully yesterday. Must be fairy's they employ.

12. wb United Kingdom

wb Well-Known Member

This might sound an obvious question, but do you actually owe more tax on this return than you have paid on account already?

13. disruptive

Yes because they want TAX prepaid for 2010-2011, as well as for 2009-2010. And the computed TAX for 2009-10 > than that paid. I'm really baffled by this system.

14. mat United Kingdom

mat Well-Known Member

I dont pay online so it may be different. I go down the local post office with my debit card and do it.

For me the total amount you owe is calculated at the very last stage and you then have options to print it off in pdf format etc.

I then simply takeaway what is allready in my "tax bank" from the total I owe and pay it.

15. golddiggerguy United Kingdom

golddiggerguy Well-Known Member

16. retired_member32

retired_member32 Retired Member

did anybody remember on working lunch (when adrian chiles was a presenter) they had the minister and the shadow minister complete the paper tax return live on TV and they both got the return wrong.....dohhh your right tax doesn't have to be taxing.....but it is....

17. max99x United Kingdom

max99x Well-Known Member

was always a struggle and complicated to do especially when it came to being VAT registered as well, paying a decent accountant saves lot of time and would recommend it to anyone, they often save you more than you pay them!! which is the case for me!

18. grantw United Kingdom

grantw Well-Known Member

It took 5 days to actually show the amount I needed to pay. The system is sh*te - one sentence explaining that there will be a delay in the figures showing would probably save them answering 1000's of calls a year.

Grant

19. disruptive

agreed. Its ridiculous. In the end I called them to check the totals and paid. But it still shows that I owe zero. I bet the ba*tards would fine me if they didn't get their money.

20. mat United Kingdom

mat Well-Known Member

Shouldnt leave it so late then :D

21. TinkyWinky United Kingdom

TinkyWinky Active Member Acorn Supporter

For the £140 or so an "out of london" accountant will probably charge for relatively straight-forward returns (upto aromnd £300 for a more complex one) - assess whether this is really worth the hassle...

Seriously if you spend 6 hours sorting it all out and you think your time is worth £50 an hour - then you effectively are losing £300.... not too mention if you get it wrong and then get a fine!!!

Just a thought.
    TW

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.