Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

the best dropcatching software

Discussion in 'Drop catching Domain Names' started by brum, Sep 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brum

brum Active Member

hi whats the best drop catching software , that people like the most ?

i have seen a few deciding on whether to use someone else's or get a bespoke one made from a geek i know .

what do you guys think ?

ps anyone got one to sell rent pm me

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. grantw United Kingdom

grantw Well-Known Member

Personally I'd say go with your own, that way you have ultimate control over the code. The down side to that is that you'll probably spend the coming months/years tinkering with it. A rented option means the tinkering should already have been done but you'd be running in direct competition with everyone else who's renting the same system.

Grant

4. chrisvaughanuk

chrisvaughanuk Active Member

I'd agree with Grant. I've rented and that went well but I now run my own script which cuts costs significantly in the long term (even if you consider the time taken to code as a billable expense or the potential cost of employing a coder). Ok, I can't compete with some of the best catchers but being able to modify the code (presumably your geek mate could help you with that) for any 'tactics' that you wish to try to give you a better chance with the catching is pretty useful.

On the other hand, although scripting yourself (or your mate) may save you costs long term, at least having someone continuously evolving the code for you (e.g. through a system like Drop System - or even your geek mate) will give you time to develop websites - something I just don't have time to do because my free time goes on coding (when I can be motivated!).

I'm sure that wasn't helpful but they're my thoughts!

5. ukdomains United Kingdom

ukdomains Active Member

getting your own script will take longer but its worth it in the long run.

my script has moved from alpha to beta and thats in 1 year. Its no where near good as the top catchers such as DL .

6. ABCV Saudi Arabia

ABCV Active Member

Out of interest, how much does an average drop catching software cost each month?

I should think that because it's a very competitive area the cost outweighs the gains, I'm I talking nonsense?

7. grantw United Kingdom

grantw Well-Known Member

I'd also say that picking a list of domains from someone elses droplist, loading them into someone elses system and pressing start doesn't really make you a catcher :)

Grant

8. Ashton Canada

Ashton Well-Known Member

Does the software use multiple threads and proxy ips out of interest?

9. brum

brum Active Member

update

ok ,

have decided to rent a system my mate won't take money !!! he knows he stuff he wrote the original infrastrucutre for a registry not nominet otherwise i would have pinned him to the floor till he finsihed it lol !!!

looked at dropsystem anyone got any experience of it pm me or post in thread.

DL seems to be pretty good too thoughts anyone

ta
    ps any others who want to sell / rent scripts software pm me

Last edited: Sep 26, 2010
  10. namealot United Kingdom

namealot Well-Known Member

Look at who catches what and the calibre of there catches if possible what software they use.. If you only go for the top then really needs to be bespoke script? off the shelf ones are always going to be at a disadvantage. Many registrars themselves are now offering a service not sure how successful they are or if it would go down the way .com (Pre bid, don’t really drop etc…?) suppose its only a matter of time ?

Also if you going for particular fields, Who owns the top hundred etc can help you decide how much to budget as certain companies never let anything drop …?

Lastly I would recommend lucky heather and a rabbits foot your going to need a lot of luck… :D

But it can be good if you have it ?

11. Skinner

Skinner Well-Known Member

I haven't used Dale's system (Drop Sys) but the feature list is impressive because it gives you lots of options so you can try your luck a bit more. Like if you believe your domain will drop between 9-5pm you can double the dac access during those times (this slows you down at other times).

Chris at Caught does a script too, which is as best I know very straight forward, x checks per second constantly. Given I have a better success with Chris, his system maybe better, unless you have tactics and believe in them.

12. brum

brum Active Member

thanks

@skinner had a look at caught they don't seem to be offering the service to anyone
    thanks though

@namealot
    thanks for the info
    ps 'll name my next daughter heather and we'll get a rabbit as a pet LOL !!!

thanks so far anymore possible

13. ukdomains United Kingdom

ukdomains Active Member

whats the feature list for caught ?

in terms of their catching system

14. bensd United Kingdom

bensd Well-Known Member

I remember droppr.co.uk launching their service. Never tried it though

15. aquanuke

aquanuke Well-Known Member

I dont offer the script anymore as folks where just running their own public catching co off the back of mine ie biz inside a biz plus cutting into my own side. Too much of a headache tbh. Im just sticking to the normal service I offer.

16. aZooZa

aZooZa Well-Known Member

Don't catch for yourself and compete.

17. golddiggerguy United Kingdom

golddiggerguy Well-Known Member

Domains and catch request stats

Just a question out of interest and one that popped into my little head.

If you book a domain with a drop catcher it says booked once it's placed.

Could a legal chart be created to say how popular a domain was before it dropped to get an idea of volume of interest?

I ask because I'm sure a lot of domains I go for would just drop (risk to take I know) but can an automatic chart be available of what domains ARE booked and at how many catchers. So no name just stats.

18. monaghan United Kingdom

monaghan Well-Known Member

Why would catchers want to tell the world what they are after?

Why would catcher customers want the world to know what they are after?

19. golddiggerguy United Kingdom

golddiggerguy Well-Known Member

They wouldn't, I know.

Just like if a domain was about to drop that you owned or wanted but you wouldn't want catchers knowing about it. :rolleyes:

I'm talking about a chart to show how popular domains are by public bookings.

My point been is, if a domain hasn't been booked at all the day before its due to drop on any public catchers then the chances are, it isn't that popular and might be worth seeing if it just drops to reg.

20. Skinner

Skinner Well-Known Member

No one will do that, as why would a catcher want you to NOT book the name with them and reg it direct ?

21. monaghan United Kingdom

monaghan Well-Known Member

I really can't see catchers signing up to this, after all, a catch is revenue regardless of how popular it is.

If the domain is worth having, then it is worth the few quid to book a catch slot :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.