Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

The Big Sell Off

Discussion in 'Domain Research' started by jwm, May 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. retired_member2

retired_member2 Retired Member

I totally agree with you Lee there are the people who can buy and sell within a few hours and fair shout to them.

My knowledge is via marketing rather than domain sales.

Going back to previous remarks about dot coms

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=van+insurance&meta=

Using this as an example again top 10 in uk search 7 are co.uk the dot coms are brandable names such as the aa or money supermarket

I have dot coms that I cant get in the search engines due to being hosted in Germany so in respects they are useless to me but if I sold those domains on as a package then they would be very valuable.

If 7 out of 10 in google are co.uk's then really the dot coms are a risky market to try and get high up.

Obviously google is a very hard market to get listed high enough anyway and some search engines vary with results but buying the dot com and actually using it is another matter.

I tried using my www.beautypitstop.com as my main page but it never showed any listings, but my co.uk version did, so I scraped the dot com version for the co.uk version.

I still have the dot com but too me thats useless really unless I have a buyer for both

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. retired_member2

LoL lets have a look at car insurance in google shall we

http://www.google.co.uk/search?num=100&hl=en&q=car+insurance&meta=cr=countryUK|countryGB

Now results on that show that the top companies that use dot coms are higher ranked and unlike van insurance, then there are more dot coms for that searched term, than there are co.uk

These are advertised websites on the television that say dot.com so being honest if I advertised one of my domains on TV and said dot.com rather than co.uk then people would goto the dot com rather than co.uk

So in respects your theroy and 50/50 is blown out of the water.

Top companies will use dot com or most will, they will buy the co.uk and then divert to the dot coms.

This is fine if your on UK/USA hosting, anything else and the dot coms are not usually found.

Last edited: May 30, 2007
  4. grantw United Kingdom

grantw Well-Known Member

How is it blown out the water, its not a theory those are the figures - the amount of users who searched for those terms WITH the extension on yahoo.co.uk and other overture affiliated search engines. More UK users type in google.com rather than google.co.uk.

I'm not talking about search engine rankings, thats a different game alltogether, Im just trying to show you that this:

Was not correct.

Grant

5. retired_member2

LoL you show me actual figures for people who type in google.com to google.co.uk and prove that they are in the UK.

Personally all my search engine websites are co.uk e.g google yahoo etc.

I know one person that uses the dot com version but typing google.com for me now takes me to google.co.uk anyway.

Thats probaly my preferences as I never seem to get any USA websites up always the UK ones.

Results do vary upon searches if you choose the web or uk results again as said before this depends upon your webhosting and where its located.

I wanted my dot com to be in the search listings but nothing so I had to change suddenly to the co.uk simply because I'm not advertising on tv and a new domain name it wouldnt take any type ins unless it was that obvious a name.

To myself the dot coms are more for the American market and being honest if I could get one of my dot coms to show up on search engines then I would set one site up for the US market and the co.uk for the UK market.

You got to remember that your talking about major companies that will make the dot com worth a lot more

I have said that van insurance dot com is worth about £100,000 in one thread and the dot.co.uk £50,000.

If you turn this on its head and you goto google and type in van insurance you see the co.uk version so if people use a search engine to find van insurance rather than type in .com or co.uk then whos website makes more money?

Personally if I dont see the dot com but I see the co.uk then I'll be clicking on the co.uk

6. grantw United Kingdom

grantw Well-Known Member

I will add that there are variations on the trend and loads of factors as to whether users type-in the .com or .co.uk, however my point was that you post things like they are fact when in reality they are obviously the comments of someone with very little understanding or knowledge.

Grant

7. grantw United Kingdom

grantw Well-Known Member

Anyway, nice talking.........Big Brothers on :)

Grant

8. retired_member2

Should get a laptop and a hd lcd tv

So far so like last year I vote for the straight white boring male this year, we got to win at least once.

Come on E M I L E R Y rock on Bristol

Since when has that been a swear word? lol

Last edited: May 30, 2007
  9. i4v.net

i4v.net Active Member

dont ban

don't ban mark norville,

I'm enjoying the show :mrgreen:

its like good vs evil, who will be the domain god of AD..?

to be continued...

10. retired_member2

Cheeky fook, whos the good and whos the evil?

Answer careful otherwise I'll be posting a ban the Dorset boy lol

11. paul

paul Well-Known Member

Mark, since you are talking about one of my sites and one of Lee's (grandin) I thought I'd just set you straight.

There is no difference with the way Google ranks .co.uk's and .com's as long as the .com is hosted in the UK.

The reason Lee's site is at the top is due to it's age, content, backlinks and various other factors. Lee's site has been hosted for years and so when he added content it climbed the rankings quite quickly, he also paid someone to build some links.

My site is only 3-4 months old, still has very little content and only has a few links so far. I will be finishing the site off soon and I will then start to seriously promote it and I expect to start challenging Lee by the end of the year like I have already in MSN :D

12. retired_member2

Indeedy, sorry for using your site as an example but it was one of the best ones that I could think of.

Just had a look at van insurance on MSN but havent seen either website mentioned which is very weird as usually MSN is very easy to get to the top on the words used.

Google is one of the biggest used search engines and the top engine that you need to be top off, well according to most stats anyway.

Yours is the one I value at £100,000 but in respects for the co.uk version because thats in the top 10 of google possibly this gets more hits and sales because its in the top 10.

If you want some links let me know as I'm looking for link exchanges and all helps the sites that I want link exchanges on are non van related

so www.beautypitstop.co.uk and www.beautypitstop.com www.mp3mobiles.co.uk and I got a few more lined up I'm trying to remove a lot of my self linked websites as trying an experiment seeing if that helps my hits and reducing the amount of using the same wording.

These are new anyway so not linked too heavily by myself so not too bad.

**** Update

Thats weird I checked your link for MSN an indeed your at the top but

http://search.msn.com/results.aspx?q=van+insurance&form=QBRE

Thats what I use and nothing

Last edited: May 31, 2007
  13. paul

paul Well-Known Member

Thanks for the offer of some links but I really don't like link exchanges, I think it does very little for a site right now and before long I believe it will start to harm them unless the percentage of reciprocal links compared to other one way links is quite low. Anyone want to buy linkexchange.co.uk :)

As to value, as a pure domain name, I would value the .co.uk domain higher than mine. The only reason I bought the .com was cos Lee wouldn't sell me his :)

And yes I agree Google is the one to aim for but for a competitive term it takes a little time. Just got to #1 today with one of my sites for the word 'shops' only taken 2 and a half years, shame it doesn't bring in much traffic :(

• Like Like x 1
  14. SF

SF Well-Known Member

Very nice indeed - and van insurance .com is also very nice indeed. :cool:

15. retired_member2

Nah yours is more valuable, at the moment yes Lee is higher in google than yours but as I said to you before your missing out on a very big market which is the American market for your dot com.

Your targeting UK traffic which is great, but your missing out on a very big market indeed if you find networks that offer van insurance such as CJ or affiliate monster I think it was called which is an Australian website then you can make more than your earning now.

If you think about the US market that is a market that does more direct type in's than the UK does.

Someone types in vaninsurance.com and thinks bloody hell a limey website your losing shit loads.

If they see UK and USA insurance your making shit loads.

You have a nice design and it would be easy enough for you to develop it even if you need to use a subdomain to increase your earning potential.

16. rob

rob Founding Member

To say that to Grant is quite amusing.

Invest some of your millions into getting PRSS access then you will see how idiotic that looks :)

• Like Like x 1
  17. mxm

mxm Active Member

The Big Sell Off + A few comments on the thread¬

If appears that there are some bulk dumps taking place on a whole through the industry... but this is typical of the season... a few big DN's have been snapped up for what appears to be very good $... taking into account that a number of "resources" e.g deleting.co.uk, have gone... has maybe affected the way some people buy, which in turn may have an effect on the way people sell...

So JWM it would appear the number of sell offs has increased, mainly non-value bulk lots or a few generics with traffic, being the ones on sale at the mo... however a few big players have also recently snapped up some very big names, for little $, on the sidelines...

As for some of the comments and responses to this (and a few other threads on acorn) what is going on???

Acorn used to be full of very helpful and fun, easy going, tumblers... now it seems like a flame war has developed...

Yes it appears a certain (newish) member is full of bull (checked and verified!) but he is also (newish) to the DN industry... even though it appears he has had more jobs than all workers of world together... has DN's whose value exceeds that of the gold stored in fort knox... knows more about PPC, DNS, PRSS, IPL, CPC than the late and great Cory Rudel (rip) but has never heard of BIN! Can in fact (sometimes) say something cool! (yes we have read all his posts!) or funny....

So remember this is not msn or facebook or friends reunited and chill out... keep up the slagging off though as its good fun at 3am in the morning! :mrgreen:

18. domainer United Kingdom

domainer Active Member

I knew I had heard the name before! What he didn't know about Affiliate Marketing!!

19. mxm

mxm Active Member

Sell off / Cory / Forum Rep

mmm... if only we had all had his big balls in business when we started...

One of the best, not only in the way he maintained his number 1 position in his field but the honest way he carried on his business practice... Thank the lord he did not get into DN's in as big a way! :cool:

Yep there is a sell off going down... more in .EU .INFO and .BIZ than in .CO.UK so seems there is a trend to sell at the mo... maybe Deleting.co.uk has had more effect than noticed....:rolleyes:

Mark do not negative rep our comments if you are unhappy with an opinion, use the forum that is what it is for... not a personal extension of your own terms and conditions in life... why don't you start your own MN forum and talk to yourself all day if you have a problem with your own comments... :???:

20. retired_member2

The thread was dead and burried until you brought it, so throwing snide remarks and trying to cause another flame war because you enjoyed reading at 3am was why you got negative with comments to leave it out.

Nothing more nothing less.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.