Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

The curtain is closing

Discussion in 'General Board' started by doodlebug, Sep 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. doodlebug United Kingdom

doodlebug Retired Member

Yes looking at some post, I probably am wasting my time with that phone call site and God knows what I'll make with my Halloween site ? , I am clueless with web design compared to others, I am useless at aff stuff, I made f*ck all with Storeburst though to be fair Dave I had no patients with it.

2 years ago I sold my vending machines which were making money and now regret that big time, I could have expanded by now.

My plan is to make my domain stock upto 150 (currently at 77) and leave them on my Nameswand.com site and Sedo, I'll check my Sedo account and my Nameswand email account once a week for any sales.

I am going to stock them for 5 years so 150 x £4 x 5 years = £3000 and whatever doesn't sell in that time I will let go of for cheap.

I am off to find a full time job for 12 months and save up £5000 to restart my vending round but I am going to buy kiddy rides to start with, I even regged COINOPERATEDRIDE.COM

Only sites I am keeping are Nameswand.com and Savelives.org.uk (baby site)

For anyone thinking, here goes that lunatic Doodle again always changing his mind, you're right I do change my mind but I have 3 kids to bring me to reality and know I need to provide for their future so it's time to stop dreaming and get with reality before I screw their lives up.

I will pop back in 12 months time.

Good luck to everyone and thanks for having me :cool:

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. Retired_member41

Retired_member41 Retired Member

Was just about to reply to your pm, and have now seen this, aww that was so sad to read.

Your efforts re getting sites up are great, wanting to get out there with haloween is also the sign of someone on the brink of stardom, not the edge lol

There is no way you can keep away, your a prolific poster :)

I hope your not kidding us on and now I look stupid lol

Please dont go, dont goooooooo, dont go away, please dont go.

4. Ashton Canada

Ashton Well-Known Member

Pm on its way.

5. pbryd United Kingdom

pbryd Active Member

I can see why you want to go out and get a full time job for the regular income but can't you keep a couple of affiliate sites and work on them a couple of hours per week or a Sunday morning.

It's hard work at the beginning for little reward but it's like a snowball, once you get something that's working you can then apply it to other sites.

6. accelerator United Kingdom

accelerator Well-Known Member

Good luck with your new ventures. Affiliate marketing is getting harder all the time so a diverse range of business interests is no bad thing.

Rgds

7. Bailey United Kingdom

Bailey Well-Known Member

Stay positive Andrew, This business whether developing or just domaining isn't for everyone.

I don't think anyone in this business knows where you are going to be in a years time - not exactly an ideal for anyone with a young family - or without a second income.

Ray

Last edited: Sep 10, 2010
  8. davedevelopment

davedevelopment Well-Known Member

A full time job doesn't have to be the end mate, I work full time, then I do freelance web development for clients and in the time i have left i do this stuff! Granted I don't have kids (yet, one due in december!), but i know l can still find time. Read a productivity book like Gettings Things Done, once you're positive you're making the most of your time you'll easily manage the 9-5 and the extra stuff.

9. retired_member21

retired_member21 Retired Member

Best of luck mate - it's all about quality of life at the end of the day

10. AssetDomains

AssetDomains Well-Known Member

Good luck in the future mate hope it all goes well for you

11. khalid

khalid Well-Known Member

If it was that easy everyone would do it, and that's why not ever acorn user is posting from a beach house abroad.

If it is any concellation I've been doing sites / domains for years and still work full time. I've tried different methods of making money, with mixed results.

Good luck with your ventures; if you do not succeed try try again.

12. khalid

khalid Well-Known Member

p.s what vending machines did you run and what were they bringing in profit wise (month) if you don't mind me asking?

13. stender United Kingdom

stender Well-Known Member

Your right doodle, make sure your family is looked after first then you can do this of an evening, which is what I do. You don't need to throw it in though.
    Your day job can pay the bills and this is your pocket money. Hopefully you can then build it up until a time you can jump ship and do this full time.
    I'm still waiting for that thoough x years later.

14. BREWSTERS United Kingdom

BREWSTERS Well-Known Member

Can I make a suggestion? Instead of getting another 73 domains - why not just use that buy-money for 1 better name?

The better the name, the more liquid they are, and you only have one to renew.

Domains are only a numbers game once you have a proven system for return.

15. retired_member32

retired_member32 Retired Member

It sounds like my story....it can be a hard slog in this game...it takes patience which is something i do not have...i usually flip good names for peanuts due to financial restraints and the need to put food on the table and build half built websites which generate nothing....,i am lucky in the fact my missus is hugely motivated and her teaching contributes hugely,sitting on computers eats up time like no other business on earth...i would be working out why a css file which is sending my page haywire and "bang" three hours later you have achieved nothing....also i don't know about you but i have no other interests....i spend 13 hours a day sat in front of this pc and my social life is non existent...i went out to a party for the first time in ten years last month and i woke up so happy and optimistic...,the pressures of needing to generate money are frightening ,especially having kids....one day you will be looking through the keyword tool for a half decent free to reg domain and you see a golden nugget....and you will get the lift you need and the rest is history(kching....kching...hello is that the porsche dealer....)

chin up and onward and upward....remember that all shops and businesses will be moving onto this thing we know as home (the internet)

Regards

Mark :p

16. retired_member16

retired_member16 Banned

Why buy more domains? As mentioned above, buy one half decent one that you can turn to cash as soon as you have the need.

I have probably no more than 12 names at any one time. That's my business model and I have only ever spent £5 on my first ever name. All other purchases came from the money made from that first name.

Please don't buy any more, for you, and don't take this the wrong way, I don't think it's worth it.

17. accelerator United Kingdom

accelerator Well-Known Member

The good think about this strategy is it's easier to actively market the domains you have for sale. After being around for the "goldrush" years, I'm moving more towards a strategy like this. I am a lot fussier over buying domains these days.

Rgds

18. stender United Kingdom

stender Well-Known Member

Agree with that strategy. I've had loads of names on the go at once then either don't finish the site or finish it and then do no seo or content updating (still my problem tbh). I really should stop catching and buying as the dev list is getting rather bloated again.

19. vizzo United Kingdom

vizzo Active Member

Sad to hear.

My two cents - look at what you do that is most effective in terms of what takes the least time and makes the most money. Continue that on a part time basis.

I agree with others not to buy more domains, unless that fits into the "takes least time/makes most money" scenario.

20. julian United Kingdom

julian Banned

After seeing AmazingReminders.com I think you've done the right thing. Good luck with the slot machines biz.

21. willbon

willbon Active Member

Think 'end user'. Don't waste time with this lot on here. They are the genisis of the domain industry.

Believe that it will come to you

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.