Domain Manage

The Register tears into Nominet's 50% price hike fiasco

Discussion in 'Domain Name News' started by Edwin, Nov 26, 2015.

1. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member Exclusive Member

Last edited: Nov 26, 2015
  2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

3. invincible

invincible Well-Known Member

My disappointment with this article is he's either incompetent or has deliberately failed to mention the fact that the price rise is £0.25 per year for those who are already registering and renewing their domain names annually. It's a shame he's not reported the entire picture in this respect, don't you think?

4. martin-s United Kingdom

martin-s Well-Known Member

What percentage of names are renewed annually rather than bi-annually?

5. admin Spain

admin Administrator Staff Member

6. RobM

RobM Well-Known Member Exclusive Member

You mean he's not trying to soften the massive blow unnecessarily created by nominet? How dare he... Next thing will be the stupid sales tactics that people use to try and fool you into thinking you're getting a good deal...'for less than the price of a coffee per year blah blah'.

7. Edwin

I thought (very willing to be proven wrong) that about 4/5ths of registrations were in 2-year blocks. I've used to have but have since lost the figures that broke this down - does anyone have them?

The article writer's "incompetence" (if any) is like a candle to the supernova of Nominet's incompetence in trying to drive for a 50%-then-300% price rise, and unlimited carte blanche for further price rises as and when they please.

8. invincible

I've been informed that 45% of the 1.7m new registrations during the last financial year were for 1 year. That's up from 0% in 2012 when 1 year registrations weren't an option.

9. Edwin

So they're shafting 55% of registrants a lot, and 45% a little. I feel much better already.

Except they're not, because there are over 10,000,000 registrations - of which just 765,000 (your figure) will have been 1-year regs and the rest 2-year regs. So in fact the pain will be felt at the max level by 93% of registrants. That's even worse than my own guesstimate, above!

When did you become a Nominet apologist, David? I suspect a lot of the members who voted you onto the Board are surprised to see your "take" on their ridiculous behaviour.

10. invincible

I am informed that the author didn't even speak to Nominet prior to publication. The fact that he neglected to mention what I cited above in my first post in this thread in order to provide balance shows the lack of research undertaken. Readers should take it with a pinch of salt therefore.

11. ian

ian Well-Known Member Acorn Supporter

Maybe the increase is covering David's mahoooooosive wage??? ;)

12. Edwin

He would have been wasting his time either way. I've spent over two hours on the phone "speaking to Nominet" since the news was announced, and I have not gained one single shred of additional information from anyone I spoke to other than what was already in their news release.

13. anthony United Kingdom

anthony Well-Known Member

Don't lose sight too that 50% price increase is equal to 630% jump in profit!

Their current profit on £28M turnover is £2.584M (9.2% net profit), then with £42M, it will be all bunce, therefore profit of £16.5M (39.2% net profit).

A licence to print money!

14. invincible

He might have written a factually better article, although maybe he never really wanted to do that.

15. Edwin

I believe your figures are low. They were able to give £3M to the Nominet Trust in 2014 and also boost their cash reserves. Either way, your point is well made.

16. invincible

No. The figures I provided was the split of the 1.7m new registrations across 1 year and 2 or more years, as I have been informed. It is not the entire register.

No. Not the rest. 765,000 (45% of the 1.7m) new registrations were for 1 year during the last financial year I am informed. This does not equate to the rest of the 10m being 2 year.

I would likely have been a stickler for facts if I hadn't become a NED.

17. RobM

RobM Well-Known Member Exclusive Member

I find it funny that a representative of an organization that has been less than transparent and, in some cases, blatently lied in the past to push it's own agenda would complain about an article not really being 'factual' even though prices *are* going to rise by 50% in March for absolutely no reason that can be proven. I despair sometimes.

18. Edwin

Yes, that sums it up.

IF you hadn't been a NED you'd want the full facts.

Face it, you're just enjoying stirring the pot.

If you don't have anything substantive to contribute to this discussion why not duck out of it and leave us to discuss what might (possibly) be done to counter this imminent threat? After all, we don't need you to tell us the Nominet line - we have it first-hand from them and second-hand from all manner of sources.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2015
  19. invincible

It isn't actually a true 50% rise for those on bi-annual renewals because there has never been a facility to register domain names for £2.50 per annum. The price has therefore not increased from £2.50 annually to £3.75 annually. One pays an additional £1.50 at the start of month 1 (totalling £5.00) to avoid paying a further £2.00 after the end of month 12, effectively a £2.00 saving.

For those on annual renewals it's a £0.25 price rise, something the article doesn't touch on.

20. Edwin

What insane nonsense is this?

If I own 1,000 names whose orginal registration dates are distributed equally across 2 calendar years (the larger the portfolio, the more this is likely to be true) that means that under the old 2-year system I had to renew 500 names a year at £6/2 years each or £3,000 total outlay per year.

Under the new pricing I have to renew 1,000 names a year at £4.5/year each or £4,500 total outlay per year.

Works out to EXACTLY 50% more on an annual basis!

21. martin-s United Kingdom

martin-s Well-Known Member

And for renewals?