Domain Manage

Things to do in Gibraltar

Discussion in 'General Board' started by retired_member33, Feb 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. retired_member33

retired_member33 Retired Member

Drove down to Gibraltar for a few days and I remember some other members been/lived/live here.

What are the "must see" things here?

Thanks

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

3. invincible

invincible Well-Known Member

Walk up the rock, see the apes, walk up and down main street umpteen times, see if you can spot Ruth Parasol. Most of the new stuff was in Europort last time I went. Otherwise, unfortunately, it was a bit of a dump after the novelty of my first visit wore off. Have any new/decent hotels been built? My last visit was 2004 when developments were still going up and I was considering relocating.

There are some tunnels under the rock you can explore.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  4. mally United Kingdom

mally Well-Known Member

Get married there:)

Buy things in pound sterling

5. lee United Kingdom

lee Active Member

Have a wash on the way out - the place is filthy!

I recommend walking in rather than driving, they can make you queue for a long time and parking is crazy one you hit the centre.

Take a bus from just inside the main gate to the town, takes 5-10 minutes to get there.

Dont walk up the rock, will take you a long time. You are better grabbing a taxi driver and negoitating with him/her to take you up in their car (or better still, people carrier) - you can then watch the view without any of the hassle.

Keep your personal items safe. The apes can and will put their hands in your pockets if they think you have food, or just for their own amusement.

Apart from that, just wander about. Bargains to be had with gadgets, watches etc (bought a nice Rolex there many years ago and sent the box and paperwork to myself from the rock via post in case they spot it)

6. Bailey United Kingdom

Bailey Well-Known Member

Some of the Jewellery stores can be interesting as a lot of mounts, rings pendants etc are displayed without stones/diamonds. so you can actually mix and match, pick your stone etc and call back 2 hours later for your designed Jewellery. The craftsmanship and quality is excellent.

Similarly brought a nice TAG watch at about 30% less than i'd expect to pay in the UK

7. retired_member33

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

Visited The Rock, seen the apes stealing food from German tourists, watched rugby in a proper pub and a lot more.

We currently live in Spain where nobody speaks any English and where it's hard to get UK food so it was nice to be able speak English in the shops, pubs and restaurants, stock up on food in Morrisons and get a Sunday newspaper.

8. tifosi United Kingdom

tifosi Well-Known Member

feed the monkeys, run from the monkeys, get chased by monkeys. Bit like Blackpool except they have seagulls!

9. ratboy United Kingdom

ratboy Well-Known Member

Ha ha my mum had her bag stolen by a monkey, i was laughing while my dad ran off after it. Did get it back after the monkey emptied it everywhere.

Don't have many great memories from that place really.

10. alex2013

alex2013 Member

:)) ratboy, I bet they felt like Jim Carey shooting Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls

11. RobM

RobM Well-Known Member Exclusive Member

rofl these monkeys sound great - stealing handbags, running away with them, stealing German tourist food etc. I'm going to have to go over to Gibraltar now.

12. WealdDomains United Kingdom

WealdDomains Active Member

I liked the use of traffic lights to stop vehicles and pedestrians on the main road when a plane was coming in to land - the main road crosses the runway !

13. retired_member33

Yes, was a very funny sight! The runway does look a bit scary with the sea on both sides.

Seen exacty the same as this on Sunday, we were standing at the traffic lights on the the other side of the runway :)

Were considering going back next month as we both really enjoyed the place and it's just 1,5 hour away from where we currently live.

14. lee United Kingdom

lee Active Member

Whereabouts is your place Pro? I have a house in Lebrija so get down to Gib from time to time.

15. retired_member33

Cool, I live in a small town close to Seville which is about 40mins away from Lebrija :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.