Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Think perhaps we're getting stitched up?

Discussion in 'General Board' started by BREWSTERS, Sep 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. peter_w United Kingdom

peter_w Active Member

Where do you plan on going? http://www.drive-alive.co.uk/fuel_prices_europe.html

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. disruptive

disruptive Well-Known Member

4. Frog

Frog Active Member

Not sure about anywhere else but the metro system in Prague is pretty good, everyone was moaning as they just put the price up as well. You now pay just over £1 and you can travel on all the underground, buses and trams for a 90 minute period.

Bear in mind people earn significantly less in most of Europe though... a typical barmaid/cleaner/shop worker/secretary here is going to get £2.50 - £3.50 an hour.

5. binny

binny Active Member

Brent crude has been over $100 since February it is WTI which has sunk to $80 which has no impact on our petrol prices. WTI being so low compared to Brent crude isn't normal but its a direct reflection of how bad things are economically in the US.

6. binny

binny Active Member

You can add another £15 billion+ for production taxes on the UK oil industry and I would presume another £10-15 billion corporation tax from the UK based oil companies. Thats a massive hole if they don't have it.

7. BREWSTERS United Kingdom

BREWSTERS Well-Known Member

Does anyone know where to find figures for total tax income for all the countries in Europe? Getting nowhere on Google...

8. invincible

invincible Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if this would help: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tax_rates_of_Europe. Do you want to know how much actual money each country gets in taxes a year in total, rather than %age rates?

9. BREWSTERS United Kingdom

Yes it's the total revenue figures I was after. Thanks for the link though.

10. binny

binny Active Member

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
  11. BREWSTERS United Kingdom

12. retired_member33

retired_member33 Retired Member

Just wondering what these stats tell you?

13. BREWSTERS United Kingdom

I just wanted to see how much tax income this country gets compared to other countries that I consider to have a higher standard of living.

It does seem to work out that the countries that enjoy a higher standard of living (IMO), pay more tax. What I didn't want to see was the UK paying much more tax but getting worse services due to wastage.

14. Skinner

Skinner Well-Known Member

I used to work for MAN Diesel (Engineering) in Research and Development, and they tried running engines on everything from unrefined heavy oil (looked like thick black sludge that was the left overs from the crude after petrol quality was removed). You had to heat it up before starting the engine, and engine really didn't like it. Con rods 8 inch thick was mangled all the time.

They had one running on abattoir waste. It was ground up fat, gristle, skin, small bones, you name it (I often debated disposing of my boss this way). It was ground into a hard paste, almost like soap or lard, and felt like sandpaper. That you had to melt too before the engine would start and when it did start, jesus the emissions was nasty, it smelled bad before it burned too.

Another running on food waste, vegetable waste, you name it it was tried. Its surprising, its more a case of what CAN'T you run an engine on. Its more down to is it effective, some of them the output was barely enough to operate a kids toy, others was powering 100s of lights.

Augsburg where the main development was done, I was told they had a water powered engine, as I recall it used precious metals in the reaction to charge the battery which in-turn powered a standard electrical engine. They was looking at other materials which could be used to save on the metals. Really even though they say its Water Powered it was Hydrogen which produced the power, and it used massive amounts of copper and some amount of gold/platinum. I left the company before I got any where near that so don't know alot about it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.