Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Three Lettter Domains

Discussion in 'Domain Research' started by philiporchard, Jun 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. philiporchard United Kingdom

philiporchard Well-Known Member

Just wondering on the value of 3 letter .co.uk domains?

Just found one for sale, and wondering how much they are trading for before making an offer :D

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. retired_member16

retired_member16 Banned

There are posts and posts on this subject, you may benefit from a little search.

4. binny

binny Active Member

Better to check what sales there have actually been in Domain Prices under the 3 letter category rather than someone's speculation in a post

5. retired_member3

retired_member3 Retired Member

Last edited: Jun 6, 2008
  6. rob

rob Founding Member

Not seen one go for under 500 for a long while.

A fair amount depends on the letters, if there is any meaning and if they are a word.

7. retired_member3

8. julian United Kingdom

julian Banned

depends if we talking end user?

I sold a LLL for £400 last year.

there lot of shit LLL's out there qzx etc I dont think these are worth £500+ (yet) despite what people who own them think their worth.

then again even if it is only worth £300 at the moment cos it's shite its not even worth selling it for that price... :confused:

Last edited: Jun 1, 2008
  9. rob

rob Founding Member

It is a tricky one to answer as I have a few so it seems boosting numbers is in my interest however 99% of my LLL sales are end user , usually £5-10k region.

Saying that, I have been considering selling off about 120 LLL's and have been talking to a few people and had some reasonable offers - just not enough to take it over the finish line.

This also plays into the value of LLL's, not all are worth £xxxx - £xx,xxx however as Edwin once said they are the gold bars of domaining , ie. they hold and increase in value and are very easy to cash in on. Looking at recent sales here it seems the going rate is about £800+ , and that is usually inside a day or two of listing on a quite closed community.

The value in the names is the 'gold bar' situation as above, due to rarity value, end user worth and quite a few get traffic. From my experiance end user sales is a handful a year, which can net 5 fig totals per year for a sale of sod all names. The only issue is that compared to generic terms or single words its a longer wait between offers.

A good example of this is one bloke I was talking to around Christmas time about selling my batch, if he had taken the proposed figure at the time and sold what I have sold since, he would have four less names and had about 15% off the price - they were north end sales, but not completely unsurprising. Thankfully I didnt go lower than what I had worked out :)

Hopefully not too rambly, but that is my experiance of the LLL market from both trader / end user sales and in summary they are sensible domain buys which are a no brainer for anyone looking at a 3+ year view.

Cheers,
    Rob.

ps. anyone with £10-20k+ to invest in LLL's give me a shout as I might be going down the smaller batch option if there is enough interest!

10. retired_member3

11. rob

rob Founding Member

The best bit is to look at the LLL.com market, upto about £3000 base now for rubbish letters and going up all the time.

Rubbish letters in .CO.UK were free to reg in 2004, and posted on forums like this as junk at the time now they are highly contested / chased up if they go suspended.

You are right that they are no use to most end users (like many names), that is why the names ending in L for example fit X Y Limited , likewise startups seem to love the kudos of a short domain name.

Again going from .com lead (generally I think .UK is roughly 3-4 years behind their curve) it is interesting to see the first rumblings of people talking about LLLL.co.uk's , so interesting to see if a play into 'pronounceable' names would give returns on first / second renewals of them :)

Personally I will give them a miss for another year or two...

12. philiporchard United Kingdom

philiporchard Well-Known Member

Thanks, very useful.
    FYI, he is looking for over $1000, so no bargain to be had there particularly. :???:

13. retired_member3

14. SF

SF Well-Known Member

I think we would all pay 500 quid for a LLL. I have one and offers have been going up every day since I caught it.

you just cant get them now so if you have them its worth keeping them. but if anyone has them for sale let me know!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.