Domain Manage

To use or not to use Hyphen in the url

Discussion in 'SEO Search Engine Optimisation' started by ddwebguru, Apr 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ddwebguru

ddwebguru Active Member

I know this is a tricky question, but I really want to get the answer of it. What will happen if I use hyphen in the url of my website. Would it have any negative impact from the Search Engine point of view. Please suggest

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

3. bensd United Kingdom

bensd Well-Known Member Exclusive Member

Won't have an negative impact, but IMO it is only worth using a hyphened domain name for minisites.

If you use a hyphened domain for a larger website and start advertising etc you will see a lot of traffic leakage.

4. ddwebguru

ddwebguru Active Member

Thanks for the response. However you have not clarified why I can lose traffic if I opt for hyphened domain name.

5. getmein United Kingdom

getmein Active Member Exclusive Member

you'll lose type in traffic, if yo don't also own the non-hyphenated version. So if you own great-cars.com and I own greatcars.com, I'm going to benefit from the work you do on your own version.

In the vast majority of cases I'd say the non-hyphenated would be the better choice as people will tend to default to that when they type in the address. BUT, if your aim is search engine traffic, i'd rather pay for site development and content and see if something works with a hyphenated domain than make a big investment in the domain and spend less on the site.

6. crabfoot United Kingdom

crabfoot Active Member

Hmm ... slow-motion replay ... here's the "why" ...

Once upon a time, search engines were not very good at parsing domain names, and a hyphen helped the spiders.
    Now, the spiders are better at parsing, so for Search Engine Optimisation purposes the difference is not noticeable.

If you want a domain for commercial use, it is better to have an unhyphenated name for spoken purposes (ie. when you actually tell the name to someone), because the hyphen is often forgotten, and you may also lose traffic to the unhyphenated domain. If you only need to transmit your domain name in written form, there is no disadvantage in using a hyphen.

And if you want to get type-in traffic, where people look for an appropriate site by speculatively typing in a web address, the hyphen is usually a disadvantage, because they usually try this without a hyphen. In fact, get the right unhyphenated name, corresponding to a hyphenated domain with heavy traffic, and you can pick up a lot of business.

Last edited: May 11, 2009
  7. aZooZa

aZooZa Well-Known Member Exclusive Member

Edit: Irrelevant.

Last edited: May 16, 2009
  8. crabfoot United Kingdom

crabfoot Active Member

If you want type-in traffic, you want the name without the hyphen. If you are looking for Search Engine results, it doesn't matter if you have a hyphen these days - the spiders have learned to parse the keywords properly in most cases. But sometimes the hyphen is useful. keep on down the thread, ignore the big gaps where me and aZooZa removed the animated discussion.

9. aZooZa

Last edited: May 13, 2009
  10. crabfoot United Kingdom

crabfoot Active Member

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: May 15, 2009
  11. kkkrisss

kkkrisss Member

Why would you want to use hyphen in your domain? I don't get it? Is it too long? It has too many words?
    Apart from that I think that a hyphen would not make any difference in terms of search engine friendliness.

12. aZooZa

Edit: irrelevant

• Like Like x 1
  13. ddwebguru

ddwebguru Active Member

Thanks for the simple explanation. But I wonder shy some reputed website owners are using hyphenated domain names.

14. crabfoot United Kingdom

crabfoot Active Member

When to use a hyphenated name is - when you want the keywords, and the competition can't be bothered to put the work in.

Example - you search for nicewidgets and find the .com, net, co.uk, org.uk are all taken.
    Try nice-widgets, and you find the co.uk and org.uk are available, but the .com is taken.

Then you look harder - all those sites which are taken are parked, and you are interested in using the keywords "nice widgets" to develop your live widget site for widget sales from your base in Nice, France.

C'mon - it will not take long to get a good site about widgets indexed, when the competition are not even selling widgets, and they are not based in Nice.

The big boys look a little harder - click on the "view site" button, don't just say "It's taken, I won't bother".

15. ddwebguru

ddwebguru Active Member

I just want to insert hyphen in the domain name simply because it a website with similar domain name exists online.

16. miked

miked Active Member

Perhaps this is the best reason of all for going for a hyphenated domain. I've steered clear of them myself so far, but maybe it's time to take the plunge. They seem to work for many webmasters.

17. ddwebguru

ddwebguru Active Member

exactly. Some people are even using the same domain name but different extensions. But I don't want to do that simply because i do not think .com site will emulate .com.au site in the long run in the global search.

18. Blackpool

Blackpool Member

If the unhyphened isnt gone then go for that if not then the hyphened domain will be just as ok for a small website.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.