Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Today on Bido is dinnerknives.com. Marcus Adams joins us in the chat room.

Discussion in 'Other Domain Names' started by MediaHound, May 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MediaHound

MediaHound Active Member

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. retired_member4

retired_member4 Banned

WHO is selecting these names that go on bido?

Are all submissions thrown in to a hat, and the first one out gets an auction?

I mean, dinnerknives.com I wouldn't reg that at reg fee. what another example of bido kicking itself in the nuts.

If this sells above $100 I'll bet my BMW that it goes to a yank.

4. aZooZa

aZooZa Well-Known Member

Yeah. As I suggested before, these BIDO threads will drive you nuts. I had a play on the last one and won it. Juera.com or something. It's a shame actually because the system is quite slick and the idea is good -- just a lack of decent names. Jarred - how are you going to open this up?

5. MediaHound

MediaHound Active Member

We have a team of people at Bido that are involved with the selection process. SteakKnives.com did just sell at the Moniker auction for $18,000.
    DinnerKnives.com is bid up to $166 with about half an hour to go till the auction ends.
    If it were available for reg fee, you would have just gotten some dream ROI, and the auction isn't even over.
    Perhaps everyone's valuation methodologies should be reviewed, not just Bido's?
    It goes back to the old adage, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

6. aZooZa

aZooZa Well-Known Member

Well, that's an eye-opener for sure. Maybe you should get some people on the forums (your customers) to help with your selection process - surely it doesn't need an internal 'team' to spot the good ones?

7. MediaHound

MediaHound Active Member

I agree, we need more decent names. Right now we are only as good as what people submit to us. In the upcoming future, you will see that Bido opens the platform up to more sales, more sellers, and overall become much more vibrant. We are crawling before we walk. We only auction one per day and we are slowly ramping it up, releasing new features, formats, taking feedback, etc..
    We need better submissions and we'll get better domains up for auction, if anyone wants to participate as a seller, please let me know, or use the Bido website and submit your domains.

8. aZooZa

aZooZa Well-Known Member

Don't give up your 'gimmick'. I think it's a great one. One auction per day. I'm not criticising you to death; as I said, I think you have a slick idea. I'll send some over in the next couple of days :D

9. retired_member4

retired_member4 Banned

I have already stated on other threads.... I have submitted great .coms

Well they are shite really, but place them alongside what you are auctioning now and they are premium 1.com

A lack of decent names is complete bullshit. I submitted quite a few .coms when it was only .coms allowed. Every one of them beats the shite out of dinnerknives.com
    I would not reg that at reg fee so the winner of that one has a lot to make up for.

Sounds like it's you making the selection process. Oh, here we go, something with knives in it... must be good cos steakknives sold well...

Doesn't work like that... So with you being the selection boss..... Lee Owen recently sold a domain, but I own the alternative... kitchensshouldalwayshaveappliancesandiftheydon'tit'snotmyfault.co.uk

I'd like to list this please with a reserve of 15K

10. MediaHound

MediaHound Active Member

Update- dinnerknives.com sold for $540 today.

11. aZooZa

aZooZa Well-Known Member

That buyer should be sectioned. Mind you, augurs well for better names on your platform.

12. retired_member4

retired_member4 Banned

LOL, I was watching the auction and couldn't believe it went for that. Crazy.
    On PPC you're looking at 20 years for a ROI, if you're lucky.

@Jarred Any chance you can have an auction without some "special guest"

I always thought the bido chat was for discussing the auction that was happening, and not for all the yank domainers to kiss ass and blow each others ego. Just a small request, but I'm sure an important one.... UK domainers don't go for kissing ass, so skip it, or lose a huge chunk of the market. Just sell the domain, and quit trying to sell people.

13. retired_member7

retired_member7 Retired Member

Hmm I like Bido, it's a great idea but like others have mentioned the lack of quality names is its downside. Furthermore I will be bringing one of my names the table later on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.