Domain Manage

Transfer delay

Discussion in 'Sedo' started by keys, Aug 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. keys United Kingdom

    keys Well-Known Member Full Member

    Joined:
    Oct 2004
    Posts:
    1,304
    Likes Received:
    19
    Never used Sedo for listing or parking but recently sold a name via their broker service. Overall experience quite satisfactory despite a minor delay.

    We have another sale agreed and Sedo are holding payment from the buyer (14 Aug). Prior to this (3 Aug), and since, I asked for clarification on a particular point,

    I assume that a buyer, having received correct documents from us, will promptly forward all necessary paperwork to Nominet to complete the transfer. I have done hundreds of co.uk transfers and in a handful of cases the buyers have just filed the documents from us, until they wish to use or resell the domain.

    If this were to happen with a sale managed by Sedo, payment to us would be
    held up indefinitely. How would Sedo avoid or deal with such a scenario?
     
  2. Domain Forum

    Acorn Domains Elite Member

    Joined:
    1999
    Messages:
    Many
    Likes Received:
    Lots
     
  3. sedo

    sedo Sedo Staff

    Joined:
    Aug 2005
    Posts:
    1,046
    Likes Received:
    9
    Hi Keys,

    You bring up a good question. Should this happen, that is when our transfer team chases down the other party and encourages them to send the paperwork in. OK, so no one really chases anyone down, but for the entire transfer process to work out correctly, it does involve the cooperation of all parties involved.

    While sometimes transfers can be held up due to the amount of paperwork involved, Nominet is currently working on a more efficient system which will reduce the paperwork (and wait times) for everyone!

    Kind regards,

    Your Sedo Team
    info@sedo.co.uk
     
  4. keys United Kingdom

    keys Well-Known Member Full Member

    Joined:
    Oct 2004
    Posts:
    1,304
    Likes Received:
    19
    Thanks for the reply, although I'm not really any the wiser.

    I'll send the paperwork and expect the transfer to be completed soon.

    We sold a good domain back in April. The buyer has ignored all my efforts (duplicate paperwork, emails, phone calls) to persuade him to complete the transfer, despite the fact that he has invested in a quality website. Fortunately the domain is a true generic and the possibility of a DRS action by another party is extremely remote.
     
  5. keys United Kingdom

    keys Well-Known Member Full Member

    Joined:
    Oct 2004
    Posts:
    1,304
    Likes Received:
    19
    Time for an update on this one.

    All completed transfer paperwork sent to buyer on 24 Aug, Royal Mail confirm delivery on 28 Aug (also email sent to Sedo and buyer on 24 Aug)
    Since then nothing from Sedo, buyer or Nominet.

    Sent email to Sedo on 12 Sep to check reason for delay - now waiting for a reply.
     
  6. paul

    paul Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Mar 2005
    Posts:
    1,128
    Likes Received:
    18
    Same here :mad:

    I sold a domain through Sedo and sent the paperwork to buyer on the 17th August, he has confirmed he received it and Sedo also know he has it.

    Come on Sedo either earn your commission and chase these people up or pay the sellers if the buyers want to hold on to the paperwork.

    Would like to here from Sedo on this one.
     
  7. retired_member30

    retired_member30 Retired Member

    Joined:
    May 2005
    Posts:
    1,212
    Likes Received:
    11
    We once had a sale that took 4 months to complete from buyer paying for domain and the buyer getting round to sending forms to Nominet. The buyer had paid £xxxx and didn't seem at all bothered about ever getting control of the domain. It finally went thro' but only after persistant phone calls. I don't blame Sedo because there was little they could do but it's a real problem and if a buyer becomes uncontactable after paying for a domain you're in a real deadlock situation.
     
  8. paul

    paul Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Mar 2005
    Posts:
    1,128
    Likes Received:
    18
    The domain I have outstanding is also £x,xxx

    I have just contacted the buyer, and he says he will get it done today, he thought I had been paid already.

    What am I paying Sedo for, shouldn't they be the ones to chase this up :mad:

    Maybe I should bill Sedo for my time :)
     
  9. domaingenius

    domaingenius Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Dec 2004
    Posts:
    1,386
    Likes Received:
    10
    This is "a" reason that Name Drive is better, NO commission on sales and you can deal direct.

    DG
     
  10. keys United Kingdom

    keys Well-Known Member Full Member

    Joined:
    Oct 2004
    Posts:
    1,304
    Likes Received:
    19
    Another week has passed and no reply from Sedo either to my last email, or post above. I have done all that they asked to complete this sale.

    Sedo acknowledged receipt of funds from the buyer on 14 August, and completed transfer documents were (confirmed) delivered to his address on 28 August.

    I am not going to chase this matter any further. If the transfer is not completed by 30 September I will cancel the sale.
     
  11. charlie

    charlie Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jul 2004
    Posts:
    2,613
    Likes Received:
    25
    one of my early compliants to them was the fact that you cant entertain other offers whilst "under offer" effectively it locks your domain for months - normally takes a good number of emails to cancel in my experience. :rolleyes: and all because the buy was drunk and actually cant afford the domain! :)
     
  12. sedo

    sedo Sedo Staff

    Joined:
    Aug 2005
    Posts:
    1,046
    Likes Received:
    9
    Hi Keys,

    I just sent you a PM concerning your situation.

    @charlie: I appreciate that it may be frustrating, but in our experience, it is much more frustrating for both parties to sell a domain to 3 parties at once. In one respect, you have someone who sold or purchased a domain under whatever influence it may be. In the other case, you have someone legally entering into a contract of sale with multiple parties.

    The reality is, the situation of not allowing domains to be sold to multiple parties is much easier to control. Once a domain is assigned, each client is contacted by a transfer agent. If you feel the sale will not be completed, please let your transfer agent (or myself) know. We obviously want all transfers to go through as smooth as possible, and most do. Unfortunately, there are rare cases in which the transaction needs to be cancelled.

    At the moment we are working on a system to verify the credibility of buyers and sellers, which will reduce even further the cases of inactivity on either side, as it takes both parties to have a successful transaction.

    In the meantime, we recommend taking it easy on the alcohol consumption while bidding.

    If you have any questions about specific cases, certainly feel free to PM or email me. I'll chase up the work see what needs to be done!

    Kind regards,

    Brad
    brad.tilley@sedo.com
     
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Share This Page