Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Type In Traffic??

Discussion in 'New Domainers' started by Seeplain, Aug 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seeplain

Seeplain Member

Hi,

Having done some research into creating income from domain names I am still a little confused by Type-In traffic ?? and not sure on how this works.

As I understand it TypeIn traffic is when the user types your domain name in directly into the Browser Address Bar.

Having tried this on several well known domains and my own domains. Each time I do this it results in being directed to the Search Engine result for that "Domain Name" and not the actual Domain itself. Example if i type in "yahoo" in the address bar it gets directed to the search engine result page for the KeyWord "yahoo" and not Yahoo! (although of course this is one of teh first entries in the search page)

Am I missing something completely obvious here ??? or is this becaus eof some browser setup that I have ???

Really confusing me no end at the moment?? :confused:

Also how are extentions delat with by TypeIn traffic ?? I mean does the address bar entry always default to ".com" or do other TLD's stand a chance with TypeIn traffic.

Any obeservations or clarifications would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. Darren

Darren Well-Known Member

Domain name with extension, ie .com .net .co.uk

4. accelerator United Kingdom

accelerator Well-Known Member

As Gold Frog has explained, you should be typing the domain name with its extension into the address bar, as this is what a user should be doing when trying to go straight to a domain name.

Also, I would venture that Type-In traffic is much better of a .com than on a .co.uk. It might sound a bit silly but the reason for this is that it's easier to type .com than .co.uk and .com was the original and therefore preferred domain.

Rgds

5. Seeplain

Seeplain Member

thanks gold frog and accelerator

so type in traffic is all about users typing in the name with the TLD extention in the address bar. I guess this is a AHHAA moment for me..

Thnks for that .....

Is there any way of finding out how many people actually type in the domain with the extention e.g. books.com into the address bar???

The only way of judging trafic that i know of is typing in google with and without quotes...

6. accelerator United Kingdom

accelerator Well-Known Member

You used to be able to do with this with the Overture tool, since discontinued, where you could type in something like:

comedydvds.co.uk

and get a number back for whatever natural traffic it had. Now I'm not sure what can be looked at. Other keyword suggestion tools such as Wordtracker / Google External Keyword Tool are available though.

Rgds

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.