Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

.uk domain has been registered by someone else

Discussion in '.UK Domain Name Consultations' started by bedazzledaz, Nov 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bedazzledaz United Kingdom

bedazzledaz Active Member

I registered my .uk domain back in June when they were released, I remember going back and forward with my hosting company (TSO) to get it registered, and I remember checking at Nominet that the registrant details were mine, this is something I always do when I register a domain.

It was brought to my attention tonight that the .uk domain was being auctioned off, I had not released the domain, when I went into my host control panel it shows the domain in there and regged until 10/06/2016 with auto renewal.

I had a discussion with Frank Paul about it and he's said it looks like the domain was never registered as when you look at Nominet it doesn't have an 'updated date' on it, just:
    Relevant dates:
    Registered on: 18-Oct-2014
    Expiry date: 18-Oct-2016

I've contacted my host and Nominet to find out what's happened, but wanted to make people aware this has happened, as I'm sure people have a lot more valuable domains than me.

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. Retired_member41

Retired_member41 Retired Member

Was it registered with the co.uk rights to uk. Or straight uk registration.

4. diablo

diablo Well-Known Member

I assume it's the name in your signature.

I cannot understand how anyone else was able to register the .uk without doing so in your name and with your address. And if a Registrar other than your own was used to do this, you should have been informed at the time by Nominet.

Let us know what Nominet say on Monday.

5. Retired_member41

Ah. All makes sense now.

You've registered someone else's domain and its appeared in your control panel.

The real owner has had the nom email and taken ownership.

Unless you own the co.uk it was not really available to register.

Or you are the co.uk owner. Have done the registration and never accepted email and its been deleted.

Or someone has deleted it?

6. bedazzledaz United Kingdom

No Caz, I owned the .co.uk and registered the .uk, the host asked me if I owned the .co.uk then registered it for me.

7. bedazzledaz United Kingdom

"Or you are the co.uk owner. Have done the registration and never accepted email and its been deleted."

That looks like the option, just found an email from Nominet saying "Unfortunately you have not completed the required email authentication and so your application has now been rejected."

Surely that shouldn't make it available for anyone to reg?

8. Retired_member41

No it should have reverted back to your co uk having registration rights. Looks like it fell through the net as nom had teething problems. You will get it back Monday.

9. tifosi United Kingdom

tifosi Well-Known Member

If it's the one in your sig then something is definitely amiss.

I'm assuming you're the registrant of the .co.uk?

The .co.uk well predates the .uk cut-off, has not dropped, and the .uk was regged last month where the rights were with the .co.uk. There's a last updated record after the .uk cut-off but that could be anything.

The .uk has also not been changed since registration so that's the first record and original registrant & registrar.

Nominet will have traceable records. Very interested to see what's happened!

10. tifosi United Kingdom

tifosi Well-Known Member

Makes you wonder how resilient some registrars systems are!

Nominet should see what's gone wrong and do retrospective cancelling and reregistering.

11. SF

SF Well-Known Member

I think whats happened is, that the co.uk owner registered the .uk with his hosts as he suggests, then the domain has been deleted on the 18th of october and someone has hand registered it. Could be an issue with billing at his hosts which made them delete the name so it could be picked up.

I think he might struggle to get this name back.

12. tifosi United Kingdom

tifosi Well-Known Member

From visiting the jewellery domain in the registrar part of the domain it's likely the registrant is the same 'Mark' as the registrant... i.e. they have their own membership/tag. May even be AD members.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2014
  13. tifosi United Kingdom

tifosi Well-Known Member

If so the registrar is at serious fault. Distinct lesson not to register the .uk unless you want to use it!

14. Murray

Murray Well-Known Member

The guy who registered it posted it on here didn't he

Lets see what they say.

15. bedazzledaz United Kingdom

They said it was free to reg, to me it looks like a Nominet error.

I didn't provide email authentication so my application was rejected, so that's basically saying anyone can apply for the .uk, when you don't provide email authentication it becomes available for anyone to register.

16. Retired_member41

I'm 100% certain you will get it back. What price do you want for the pair? Please pm. Happy to pay now and wait for .uk

17. DaveP United Kingdom

DaveP Well-Known Member

But the other owner registered AND paid for this as it was available and so has done absolutely nothing wrong. Why should the new owner now be made to give it back? How can you be 100% certain?

18. Retired_member41

It was registered outside of nominees terms and conditions and will always revert back to the correct path.

If someone buys a stolen car they don't actually own it. Even if it's fully paid or financed legitimately.

19. invincible

invincible Well-Known Member

Or be aware that if you attempt to register it on a different tag to the one you registered the 3LD with the Right to the .uk 2LD you will be sent an email by Nominet asking to confirm this. Ignore that email and bad things seem to appear to be happening.

This reminds me of this thread that Bluerock started recently.

20. bedazzledaz United Kingdom

I actually paid for registering the .uk too why should I lose it like this?

21. DaveP United Kingdom

DaveP Well-Known Member

Sorry, from what I've understood the OP registered the .uk domain and then for whatever reason his registrar deleted it. It shouldn't have been Nominet deleting it (they would've just reverted it back to the rights). I suppose if it were Nominet deleting it then yes he will get it back, if it wasn't Nominet deleting the domain I can't see how he will get it back now..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.