Domain Manage

UK Reg/Fasthosts and 'DomCollect'!

Discussion in 'Domain Name Registrars' started by Alien, Jun 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alien

Alien Well-Known Member

I've noticed recently that when a domain registered via Fasthosts/UK Reg enters a suspended state, the nameservers change to:

ns1.domcollect.com
    ns2.domcollect.com

Before it was Sedo parking NS (but DomCollect are in fact Sedo right?!).

Both DomCollect and UK Reg/Fasthosts appear to be in bed together?! ;-)

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

3. retired_member6

retired_member6 Banned

Well sedo and domcollect are sister companies so contrary to sedo saying they dont let domcollect taste ukreg domains, it appears they do, scum, theyre both scum.

4. bb99 United Kingdom

bb99 Well-Known Member

Does it happen when the domain goes suspended, or when it goes over its renewal date?

If it happens when suspended, I'm not sure of the tasting benefit because domains won't resolve when suspended.

5. rob

rob Founding Member

...and if it is beforehand surely the registrant isnt getting the full registration term they have paid for? :)

6. retired_member6

retired_member6 Banned

renewal date when I used to watch them. I call it theft either way, a customer buys a domain, yet theyre allowed to auction and buy the names how they see fit at the end with .com, not sure what they do with .co.uk, never let the punks near mine.

7. Alien

Alien Well-Known Member

Mhmmm, it appears to happen 14 days after the renewal is due!

e.g:

8. bb99 United Kingdom

bb99 Well-Known Member

Interesting. So, theoretically speaking, the traffic can be 'tasted' prior to suspension and then there could be an attempted dropcatch when it drops.

It's genius!

9. grantw United Kingdom

grantw Well-Known Member

Now that is well dodgy!!!!!!!!!!

Grant

10. bb99 United Kingdom

bb99 Well-Known Member

It's certainly unusual - I'm not sure if it's dodgy :)

Let's say you buy a domain name and web hosting for two years. Your hosting agreement lasts for two years exactly. At which point your host turns the hosting off.

Your domain name also lasts for two years but Nominet very kindly give you a grace period after that two years.

Your host is under no obligation to provide DNS/email/web after their contract with you runs out.

So is it wrong, in between expiry and suspension, for the host/registrar to point it to a parking page, a registrar holding page, or something else?

I know the PAB looked at registrar parking pages in September 2008 - whilst this isn't the same thing, it's surely in the same ballpark:

Any idea if this is in the T&Cs?

11. grantw United Kingdom

grantw Well-Known Member

Fair point!

GRant

12. bb99 United Kingdom

bb99 Well-Known Member

Alien, if you visit the domain name you're talking about above, do you get a parking page?

13. Alien

Alien Well-Known Member

Yep - typical Sedo parking page appears. :D

14. monaghan United Kingdom

monaghan Moderator Staff Member

Whilst the host has no obligation to provide service after the contract has expired they surely have no right to redirect and gain financial advantage of residual traffic relating to a domain that they don't own? I'd have thought that making a change to the nameservers without the concent of the domain owner is against the guidelines even if not against the rules?

I would accept that either removing the host's nameservers, detagging or pointing to a simple "pay the bill" / empty page would be acceptable.

Anyone asked Nominet?

15. Alien

Alien Well-Known Member

NB: I've tried to update nameservers via UK Reg on domains like this, it prevents you from changing them back until they are renewed - is this standard practice with all DNR's?

16. monaghan United Kingdom

another thought, with all the fuss over the delay-DAC... when combined with the traffic stats from the "gap" period, the large registrars can now use the whois2 for customer domain reg queries, real-time DAC for high value domains and their huge delay-DAC quota to "hoover up" anything that is likely to recover the reg fee in parking revenue.

So much for a level playing field :(

17. bb99 United Kingdom

bb99 Well-Known Member

I think they probably do have a right to do this IF it's in the T&Cs that you agreed to when you signed up. That sounds like what the PAB had in mind when they looked at it.

If it's not, then I'm not sure.

I guess the same caveat applies to this as does dropcatching in general - if you want to use your domain name your way, renew it and pay your bills on time! If not, you face the consequences :???:

18. monaghan United Kingdom

Agreed, if you don't take care of the domain, then it is likely to be caught by someone on expiry.

My main point is that by the registrar pointing the domain specifically to their parking system they gain unfair advantage at drop stage as not only do they have the name in their database making it valid to hold the name under the new DAC drop list retention T&C's, BUT they also have accurate usage stats to determine whether to simply leave to expire or attempt to catch and park.

19. GreyWing

GreyWing Retired Member

Well they should at least offer you the ability to change tags during this process as per nom rules.

If they lock your account in suspension and you can't change the nameservers or tag then for me it is wrong.

20. devolution

devolution Active Member

I've had enough of all this crap in the .uk domainspace - I'm going to talk to my lawyers about starting a class action against Nominet...

21. GreyWing

GreyWing Retired Member

I'm sure their is crap going off with regards Nominet, but I don't think this is one mate.

This maybe just some isp's pushing the boundries a little and see what the responses are from their customers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.