Domain Manage

.uk registration figures now available

Discussion in '.UK Domain Name Consultations' started by Edwin, Feb 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member Exclusive Member

Nominet have started publishing monthly breakdowns on .uk registration figures.

2014 data (from June 2014 onwards i.e. when .uk launched)
    http://www.nominet.org.uk/news/repo...gister-statistics/2014-uk-register-statistics

2015 data
    http://www.nominet.org.uk/news/reports-statistics/2015-uk-register-statistics

(NOTE: the .uk figure is the "Second-level" figure, and represents a running total in the first table and a monthly registration total in the second table)

Regardless of the actual numbers, I would like to publicly thank Nominet for stepping forward and providing this data. It was much-requested, granted, but they were under no obligation to do so...

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

3. foz

foz Well-Known Member Exclusive Member

Would be good to know what percentage of .uk is repetition of the .co.uk.

e.g. I only attempt to register the .uk to protect the .co.uk. So my registrations of .uk are not wanted but forced.

4. Skinner

Skinner Well-Known Member

I think we can safely say its about 15% of the .co.uk. which ironically fits in with what appears to be the .uk monetary value.

Will be interesting to see the 2 figures rise or fall in tandem.

The figure I'd like to see is what percentage of those "new" regs are rights holders taking up their .UK and how many are actually new regs. Further would be interesting to see how many of those new regs are taken on the day of drop, and which are taken in tandem. Just to get a feel of who is registering, and which like Foz are forced to take them.

5. martin-s United Kingdom

martin-s Well-Known Member

Agreed. These numbers are actually significantly more promising that my gut feeling had been and are actually changing my opinion a little bit.

If 8% of domains are caught on the drop, let's say that's 150 names per day or 4,500 names per month.

That means that around 15,000 real .uk domains per month are potentially being registered.

And we might actually start seeing some in use!

6. ian

ian Well-Known Member Acorn Supporter

Great to see figures on how many registered, but isn't encouraging until we start to see a significant number of them in use.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.