Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

.uk Shelved

Discussion in '.UK Domain Name Consultations' started by bonusmedia, Feb 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member

There are so many ways to read one sentence, as the different "bolded" versions in previous posts show.

However, the release mechanism that I put forward in my proposal document doesn't "break" the sentence i.e. it's entirely compatible with it...

A release mechanism that takes care of existing domain owners first (either .co.uk exclusively, or oldest registration) then TM holders, then a landrush, then general availability would map exactly onto the sentence.

largely = existing registrants taken care of first
    contention reduced or eliminated = only contention at the TM stage, and at landrush (both of which are "fair enough" since who's to say one TM's stronger than another, and of course by definition landrush is contentious)

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member

Ok, I'll answer your question specifically as stated.

"No .uk ever" wins hands down. The status quo plus a commitment to preserving the status quo going forward is the best for the UK namespace. The system is not only not broken, it actually works very, very well!

4. Stephen United Kingdom

Stephen Well-Known Member

They have just bought time with their statment, I believe Nominet are looking through the options to try to find a way that looks plausable, fair and that they have listened to concerns.

You only have to read the biased interpretation of the .uk Nominet policy view of the consultation versus the independant summary of the consultation, to know they have not grasped the basics of .uk.

They will if not stopped just push there version of the way the world should be onto the UK namespace, as there way will be fairer or some such logic.

Remember these were the people who for several months went on, we are not selling the same space twice this is ".uk is a secure space for business" we have not sold that before.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
  5. websaway United Kingdom

websaway Well-Known Member

The way to stop it is not by trying to alter the way it's introduced.
    It's by saying NO TO COMPETITION TO CO.UK IN THE UK NAMESPACE.

6. Stephen United Kingdom

pressure before June

Agree your conclusion fits Nominets current statement on .uk, so do many other senerios but Nominet have not exactly followed any traditional course of action so far with .uk and although they may bend their views I dont think it is going to change radically about auctions and trade mark holder rights unless pressure is put on it between now and June.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
  7. scottb

scottb Member

I think if you take all the competing interests away, and look at it from a neutral viewpoint, I think most people would agree that it should have been Direct.UK from the start..the same as in almost every other country.

So I would go with #1 as a way to correct that - while giving existing .co.uk registrants the option to remain with that instead, for as long as they wanted. The best of both worlds..

I think the opportunity to achieve what should have been in place from the start, far outweighs any possible disadvantage for a small minority of .org.uk registrants who don't also have the mainstream .co.uk domain.

8. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member

Please bear in mind:
    A) Nominet have publicly committed to a new round of consultation IF .uk goes ahead
    B) It may be very tricky for them to shelve the idea if it keeps being brought up in public every few days (i.e. there will be pressure for them to been seen to have "done something"). It makes the scenario that they decide in June not to proceed with .uk at all less likely.

Given the above, I won't be doing anything more than perhaps posting in the occasional thread until I see what happens in June, because I still believe there is a chance they will scrap the whole thing.

9. Stephen United Kingdom

New thread

Thank you for your comments and advice.

I'm not trying to bring up .uk future in public but in this forum which provided so many of the aurguments againist the last .uk proposal. I believe it was the effort by you and many on this forum to get those points raised in the media and encouraging as many people to complete the consultation, that produced the result obtained.

However I believe in being proactive in working behind the scenes to get change actioned before it surfaces in a new .uk proposal that Nominet will want to get through as presented next time and I'm sure for those purposes it will have compromises and concessions but who knows how far they will go.

I would like to present some ideas to Nominet before June that they can add to the mix now, whilst they formulate their new plan.

The starting point is the big picture, which you (Edwin) said yourself many times "is there a need for .uk" (not a question I saw in the Nominet release).

I have started a thread "Acorn view on .uk direction" which starts with the big question, do we indeed want a .uk and if so which basic direction should Nominet persue.

Edwin I hope you (and lots of others) contribute to that debate even though we have different view on what is going to happen and what should happen.

10. websaway United Kingdom

If anyone was expecting a complete climbdown by nominet at this stage after all the mistakes regarding public opinion on this matter that they have made, then they were over optimistic, the recriminations would have been almighty.

They are naturally going to look at ways of introducing .uk, that is their function and they want the income stream it would provide.
    I don't believe it can be achieved with public acceptance and therefore at sometime in the future it will die it's death but unfortunately it has to be a case of put them up and public opinion will knock them down.

SAY NO TO DIRECT COMPETITION TO CO.UK IN THE UK BUSINESS NAMESPACE

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
  11. websaway United Kingdom

"Following our Board meeting yesterday, we are not proceeding with our original proposal on ‘direct.uk’"

1-0 to all sensible people who apposed the original proposals.

"The Board plans to review progress at their June meeting, where they would decide whether there is an alternative option that addresses the concerns raised in the consultation. This would be subject to further consultation prior to any final decision being made."

Here we have the board in a reasonable manner saying they will see if they can address objections to their original proposals and saying even if they can ( unlikely ) they will go for further consultation before making a decision.

This is not an offensive position,they know they can't try and introduce it through the back door again, lets all stop fighting shadows.

12. Brassneck United Kingdom

Brassneck Well-Known Member

100 per cent agree with that.

13. genericdomainer

genericdomainer New Member

They should introduce this again. Only people gaining for these plans being shelved are domainers.

14. RobM

RobM Retired Member

No the only people who *understood* it's implications and were aware of it seemed to be domainers. Sweeping comment from a guy with 2 posts.

15. Nigel

Nigel Well-Known Member

Agreed - usual protocol on this forum is to at least introduce yourself first - in the intro section - and list your best and worst domain.

16. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member

Clearly you can't be bothered to actually READ up on the issue. 100% inaccurate. Waste of time debating this with you further.

17. invincible

invincible Well-Known Member

He's clearly just trolling. Don't waste your time arguing back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. jimmc

jimmc Active Member

Dear *** *******

We think that .uk is A Great Place To Be and we hope you've experienced that with your domain name

***************.co.uk.

You may not have realised, but your domain name registration is about to
    expire and you need to renew it in order to keep it active.

Don't worry though, because it's nice and simple for you to renew and secure your domain name for anything up to 10 more years. Your first port of call is to contact your Domain Name Provider (the people who sold you your domain name, sometimes called a registrar) and let them know that you want to renew.

If you've forgotten who they are, don't worry, their details are below:

Domain Name Provider: *******

Never really noticed this before - We think that .uk is A Great Place To Be instead of - - .co.uk A Great Place To Be

In this email they recognise that the domain they refer to is clearly .co.uk - what else could it be, the bloody .uk doesn't exist!

However yet another covert attempt at this rip-off offering?

19. Systreg

Systreg Well-Known Member

@ Jimmc, some of those emails were posted by Skinner here:

http://www.acorndomains.co.uk/general-board/114660-new-nominet-emails-renewals.html

.co.uk does at least get a mention in one of them where it says:

20. jimmc

jimmc Active Member

That's the whole point (it doesn't) mention the .co.uk to ANY "registrant" who needs to be informed of their domain renewal!!

It simply says:

There are over 10 million different .uk domain names currently registered and research has shown that 4 out of 5 people in the UK prefer to click through to a .co.uk website when they're searching for something on-line.

Dear *** *******

We think that .uk is A Great Place To Be and we hope you've experienced that with your domain name

***************.co.uk.

We think that shows that .uk is A Great Place To Be and we hope you agree and renew your registration.

***Come-on people don't let them, outside of what is a clearly heavily biased, corporate and money-motivated board, let them sweep this under the carpet only to tell us - WE TOLD YOU SO!!

Last edited: Apr 19, 2013
  21. Systreg

Systreg Well-Known Member

@ Jimmc, the bit where I said ".co.uk does at least get a mention in one of them where it says", should have been taken in a sarcastic sense, I should have added a roll eyes icon on the end ;)

Just had The Domain Business email from Nominet, read it here: http://db.nominet.org.uk

Looks like it's all written with as view to what changes can be brought in, I wonder what that could mean :rolleyes:

Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.