Domain Manage

Upcoming member webinar: .uk rights of first refusal update - email to nom-announce subscribers

Discussion in 'Nominet General Information' started by invincible, Jun 15, 2016.

1. invincible

invincible Well-Known Member

Nominet members and registrars subscribing to the nom-announce email list were sent an email today with the subject "Upcoming member webinar: .uk rights of first refusal update". It contains some research relating to .uk ROFR take up and details of the forthcoming July webinar about this.

If you haven't received the email and are a Nominet member or registrar, first check your email spam folders for a possible false positive then check you are signed up to nom-announce in Registrants online (link provided). Otherwise email Nominet support and ask for the email to be sent to you.

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

3. wizard

wizard Well-Known Member

Nice copy and paste yawn

4. invincible

No. All my own writing.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. Skinner

Skinner Well-Known Member

Not had a nom announce since 18th April, and nom tech were notifying of 4th May updates. I figured it were the proverbial brewery scenario.

6. invincible

Are you definitely still subscribed (check via link above) and absolutely sure it isn't being caught within any spam filter? It's been known so just want to check! :) Otherwise send a secure message to Nominet and ask them to contact you manually and test your subscribed email address. Personally I find its better to use a unique one, forwarded to an inbox with a rule for filtering.

There's got to be a reason why you're not getting them and I'd like to find out because it may also apply to others.

7. martin-s United Kingdom

martin-s Well-Known Member

I used to be subscribed, but when I checked that link it seemed to suggest I wasn't any longer.

Is the email online anywhere?

8. invincible

From recollection of a past experience, if there's potentially been a time when email to the subscribed email address may have been returned then Nominet will unsubscribe the address from the list. It once happened to me.

Check your Nominet list subscriptions here: https://secure.nominet.org.uk/your-details/mailing-lists.html

9. martin-s United Kingdom

Thanks for your half answer, though enough members have complained about missing emails that it might be worth digging into now? :)

Is the email online anywhere?

10. invincible

The links within the email refer to web pages online but as the email is addressed to registrars I don't want to post the specifics in public.

Email: support at nominet dot org dot uk with a subject line of nom-announce to ask for a copy of the email and to find out when and why you became unsubscribed. :)

11. invincible

Just a bump message to remind Nominet members about this. See the posts above and contact support at nominet dot org dot uk or send a secure message after logging into your registrar account to obtain details if you've not received them for some reason.

• Like Like x 1
  12. invincible

Link now removed.

If you didn't participate and wished you had, and are certain you didn't receive the nom-announce email (and aren't receiving any of these emails even though you believe you are subscribed - see above posts for how to check) please contact Nominet by email to ask why.

I am encouraging anyone in this situation, after they have checked they are subscribed and in all spam and sub folders to do do this. Find out when you were last emailed or why you were unsubscribed if you believe you were. There may also be an issue with a global suppression list as I believe Nominet may have switched to DotMailer for their email announcements.

These announcements are potentially important to Nominet members.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2016
  13. martin-s United Kingdom

That stats presentation was hard work!

14. Skinner

Skinner Well-Known Member

I contacted nominet about not being subscribed, they didn't tell me why I were unsubscribed or last emailed.

They just told me I needed to go to my mail lists, unsubscribe, log out of the online services, log back in, and resubscribe to HTML lists, then email to let them know when done to check (not heard back since and not had any emails as yet).

15. invincible

If anything relating to a members email has been offline (i.e. DNS or mail server) and mails have been returned to Nominet as a result of the downtime, that member may be unsubscribed. This happened to me a long time ago.

As I have said above, for peace of mind I have encouraged any Nominet member who has not been getting emails to inquire about specifically why this might have been and still might be. If you want to know, ask or chase up your inquiry for a firm answer. :)

I personally find it helps to use a unique email address for nom-announce and forward those emails to the inbox of my choice, after filtering by that incoming address to ensure the emails are routed as I wish.

16. ian

ian Well-Known Member Acorn Supporter

Don't always want to be taking swings at Nominet, but I found the webinar incredibly uncomfortable to watch; they looked like they really didn't want to be there, nor had the requisite knowledge to field the questions, as if they don't have the first clue how things will roll-out in 2019 (or earlier!!!), or don't believe in .uk themselves. Case in point, this part was horrible (47:50 mins), "art internet", who? Cannot find them? and "unfortunately I can't remember most of them now" (on the subject of which companies have switched to .uk) - how do you not know this information!!! Some suggestions/feedback made were quite interesting, but again, got the feeling they hadn't thought of most of these, as if no consideration has been made to .uk in quite some time. My feelings aside on the future of .uk, I don't yet get the impression Nominet believe in it either, other than the additional cash cow it creates, sorry!

Last edited: Jul 8, 2016
  17. monaghan United Kingdom

monaghan Moderator Staff Member

I've not had time to watch it yet, but if it was a members webinar, why is the replay on youtube for all to see?

18. ian

Very true, questions and feedback were asked on the expectation of members confidentiality, isn't this a breach of that trust?

19. invincible

Some previous webinars are listed on that Nominet channel too. However this one isn't showing within the channel list and there appears to be an icon next to the video number of views which other videos in the channel don't have. Nothing I've seen has stated that the video is private and publication on YouTube might reasonably lead many to believe the video was public. Given its not showing in the channel I will remove my link to it and would appreciate @ian-d (and anyone else) doing the same.

In my opinion if the video is indeed private it would be sensible to password protect it and not just keep it hidden from the YouTube channel.

20. invincible

21. ian

Ok, understood, done.

• Like Like x 1