Domain Manage

US company - .co.uk Question

Discussion in 'New Domainers' started by dav111, Jun 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dav111

dav111 Member

What are the legalities involved in buying a .co.uk domain that happens to be the same name as a US company.

The US company does operate in the UK but just uses its .com domain.

The company name is not on http://www.ipo.gov.uk/tm.htm

but it is on the US site http://www.uspto.gov/trademarks/index.jsp

Would there be issues in trying to sell the .co.uk domain to the US company?

Many thanks

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

3. johnwheal

johnwheal New Member

You will need to check what type of trademark they have. If it is only valid in the US you will be fine.

I highly doubt the company will want to buy the name as they would already have bought it themselves.

4. noonoo1

noonoo1 Active Member

I dont mean to hijack this thread but I have the same issue.

I own a .co.uk and an international company owns the .co .net .org .com and .tv of the same name.

They do not have a tm in the US or UK.

I have the same dilemma.

5. Bailey United Kingdom

Bailey Well-Known Member

For Most International (including UK based) or American Companies owning and operating under the .com is sufficient. You usually find the other TLD extensions are purely 'defensive' registrations. Contacting a Global Company offering your .co.uk is not a good idea - by all means put a for sale notice or list it. (providing you've checked the TM status).

Remember there are god knows how many country extensions out there. Global companies are in the main not interested in all the Country level extensions. Check out the popular ones like .Germany, Spain, France (yes even the restricted ones) If the company concerened isn't the owner of those then they aren't interested in your .co.uk

6. namealot United Kingdom

namealot Well-Known Member

Legally nothing stopping you registering anything the question would be why are you registering if it to put up your own site selling completely different category of items that could not be confused with the other you might stand a very slim chance of keeping it does really depend on the word.

Why would someone start a brand etc around something that was already known in the market by a name if they were not trying to pass off etc ) or you might find you get called a cyber squatter... I doubt it’s a generic :)
    Forgot to add who's ever was registered first makes a big difference.. eg name prior to trademark etc

Last edited: Jul 19, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.