Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Use Caution When Responding to Domain Inquiries - Elliot's Blog

Discussion in 'Domain Industry News' started by Acorn Newsbot, Aug 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Acorn Newsbot

Acorn Newsbot Junior Member

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. Paullas

Paullas Super Moderator Staff Member

this is interesting i think. So what is the best way to reply when someone makes an enquiry?

4. bensd United Kingdom

bensd Well-Known Member

Has anyone seen any evidence of this in a DRS?

5. rush United Kingdom

rush Active Member

6. retired_member6

retired_member6 Banned

"What's your offer?"

7. retired_member6

retired_member6 Banned

The trouble is, these once a month judges are only supposed to be in place for a nominal period at the outset of any policy making. In the longer term, nics should have in place a basic set of rules to follow with 'judges' nominated by a committee to oversee judgements, not continually let 'arry, Bert and Tracey the solicitor form their own jumbled opinions continually. A committee is supposed to extract results from cases and form a foundation of law, is this happening at Nominet?

8. Paullas

well if you read the link lee you will see this is also a bad move. so my question was what do other members on here reply with.

9. bb99 United Kingdom

bb99 Well-Known Member

Make a few enquiries and find out :cool:

10. retired_member6

retired_member6 Banned

Yes but that's one in a million with a dodgy self opinionated judgement, that's why I ignored that and replied with "what's your offer" If they ask, then they instigated the conversation about buying, the person who owned that name should go back for appeal, as they will win.

11. Paullas

well my point of the post was for members to help each other in putting replies together but obviously it aint happening :)

12. foz

foz Well-Known Member

With direct email inquiries, I try and discuss the value of the domain (to me and my business).

e.g. I feel the domains value is £x,xxx, rather than saying, I would sell for £x,xxx.

13. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member

I just flat out say "This domain is for sale" on the landing page. So far, no problems. I have enough volume of generics to point to (and the ability to pay for a decent lawyer if need be) that I think that serves me well enough. But your mileage may vary, especially if you have some names in your portfolio that are "less generic" than others (I'm sure you know what I mean without me spelling it out).

14. foz

foz Well-Known Member

A buyer/complainant may have a trademark in a certain class under "tangerine", so it's within reason they would try and establish bad faith with the registrant that owns tangerine.ccTLD(TLD).

From the Registrant's standing "tangerine" is generic, but IP rights holders will, in most cases, attempt to overreach their position.

15. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member

If it's not parked, then it has zero chance of showing links relating to their trademark - there's no way the trademark-holder can trick you by targeting PPC ads against your domain to have them show up on the parking page.

That's not a blanket secure solution, but it certainly helps. I don't park the names that I offer for sale, I redirect them to my for-sale site which is all about generic domains.

16. foz

foz Well-Known Member

Bad faith encompasses "offered to sell to the complainant", which is what this thread is about.

Parked pages can have generic landers which will not optimise to user interaction, thus not displaying keywords in relation to trademarks. Also some parking pages will let you block keywords from being displayed on the lander.

In your case, the portfolio is seo, product and service orientated, my thoughts were more towards the brandable type generics. ghd_co_uk or oasis_co_uk are case(s) in point.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.