Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Using paypal to end users

Discussion in 'General Board' started by Paullas, Feb 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paullas

Paullas Super Moderator Staff Member

Would be interested to hear members views on accepting paypal to sell domains to end users.

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. Sound United Kingdom

Sound Well-Known Member

don't see any problems using pay-pal to sell to end user have done several times

4. wonder_lander United Kingdom

wonder_lander Well-Known Member

What are the fees like? Do you offer sale price + paypal fees vs sale price via bank transfer?

5. Brassneck United Kingdom

Brassneck Well-Known Member

If you want to sell domains I think it's pragmatic to offer as many payment options as possible. Paypal is liked by many customers as they get some kind of protection. Paying a few percent in commission is a small price to pay to secure a sale.

Stephen.

6. Sam

Sam Super Moderator Staff Member

Very true keep as many payment options open loads of clients like to use paypal i don't worry about fees

7. tifosi United Kingdom

tifosi Well-Known Member

Same. The few % commission is the price for ready convenience. If the buyer does use paypal I always do it using a paypal invoice with as many transfer details as possible in the description fields, and make a copy of the whois before and after transfer. Paper trail.

8. Paullas

Its not the fees that bother me its the chargebacks, are these a thing of the past or is there certain steps to take as not to fall in the chargeback trap.

9. retired_member36

retired_member36 Retired Member

I ask the buyer to cover fee's if they want to use paypal, however these days if you use your paypal balance, there in general no fee's at all. If using the card, the buyer can accept to pay the fee.

I also send the invoice with proof of delivery! So if they ever try to pull a fast one and make a claim you can provide atleast some proof which paypal always seem to want!

10. Skinner

Skinner Well-Known Member

I begrudge paying paypal their few percent, not because of the money.

Simply because I dropship and sell a lot via ebay, and you get hit with a listing fee, a final sale fee, then a paypal fee on top, so they triple dip into your money and it irks me. A percentage of every sale I make on ebay goes to the dogs trust charity and sometimes with gift aid calculated this has been more profit than I made. So it's not the money at all. Its just the fact they dip in so many times and you don't realise at first, worse than the tax man!

Anyway paypal doesn't cover intangible products, so theoretically there shouldn't never be a dispute, however a chargeback can still occur and its 50/50 if paypal give you your money back. The only way to be sure if check your seller protection, if its partly covered of fully covered.

I had a recent sale one of my websites for a physical item, a dispute was filed with paypal saying they their account had been hacked so was unauthorised use. Paypal found no evidence of a password attack, the user paid with their debit card and input the correct details first time etc on a card registered months ago was was clearly the user they was just trying to get out of it. So paypal found in my favour within 4-5 hours before I even provided tracking details. The user then went to their bank for a chargeback, and paypal removed the money from my account, which was about 3 weeks later, because I wasn't fully covered.

11. splashweb

splashweb Active Member

My understanding from PayPal is there is no seller protection at all, due to their policy on intangible goods, so you're wide open regarding chargebacks.

What's more, buyer protection is also limited when paying with a card via a provider such as PayPal or Google Checkout, as apparently they're no longer covered by section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974.

This page by the Met Police is worth a read:
    http://content.met.police.uk/Article/Safe-buying-advice/1400010734360/1400010734360

I've decided to use the escrow service at Transpact for all of my sales when I re-launch my portfolio site. It seems others on here have used them with success.

12. Paullas

Thought as much so i think ill give paypal a miss and contract transpact to see what procces they use.

Thank you all for your advice/experience comments and suggestions

13. Grant

Grant Active Member

No problem on a legit sale, but they can reverse for any reason within 90 days and PayPal take a LONG time to investigate cases. Funds are seized until the case is closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.