Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Using The DAC Server - Newbie Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Having found but missed out on several suspended then dropped domains I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that using the DAC server is a possible way ahead.

I've been reading some stuff about the DAC server (and can see some changes are afoot, 07-Apr changes postponed) and have some newbie questions.

Once you're a paid up nominet member and subscribe to the DAC what do you do?

1. Use unix scripts or similar to issue queries (from static IP address) to the DAC server and process the returned results?

2. Do you need to have (multiple) query lists of domains you want to enquire upon? As volume of queries is limited, do you target niche lists eg names beginning with london*

3. I take it there is a mechanism for auto reg'ing and paying for available domains?

4. Any other stuff I should know or shouldn't I bother!?

Thanks for your help !

John

1. use whichever OS / language you feel comfortable with
2. build your lists as thoroughly as you can, however, you may want to read the stuff about the new DAC as things such as data retention is changing. Under the old rules you'd just run all your lists through over a number of days, then start querying and catching.
3. if you are a Nominet member, you'll have a credit account, so you reg all month long and pay at the end of the month when you get the invoice. Auto-reg is either EPP or PGP email, details on the Nominet site under the registrar systems page
4. nobody will help you at a low level technical level, there is a lot of luck involved and a lot of understanding the system and tweaking systems to help the luck fall in your direction, your code will go through a number of evolutions before you get anything valuable, the feeling of success when you get your first above average catch is great. Some companies offer hosted DAC systems if you wanted an off the shelf catching solution.

thanks Alex - very helpful.

I'm okay with unix scripts (well, I used to be okay!) so I'd probably go that route if I had a go. Manipulating text files should be okay but deducing what your query lists should contain doesn't seem to obvious to me yet.

Yeah, I'd read a couple of the posts on the thread about the data retention stuff. I'd be doing it for myself only - not to provide anyone else with droplists.

Will look in nominet for the auto-reg info.

Good stuff - thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members online

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom