Domain Manage

Using your own domain for emails

Discussion in 'Social Media Marketing' started by Jamie101, Jun 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jamie101 United States

Jamie101 Well-Known Member

Didn't really know which section to ask this in, but hopefully here is okay!

Basically, I just want to ask if you have any tips when it comes to using your own domain for your emails (example@yourdomain.com). I'm one of those people who are still using Yahoo :roll: and have been for years. I'm starting to get the feeling that this could be putting people off at times though and to be honest I don't blame them.

Been meaning to sort this out for years especially since I own the .com of my full name but I've always been a bit afraid of messing something up. Yahoo works fine for me so I never bothered changing but I think it's finally time to use my own domain. Also, is there an easy way of accessing your emails on your phone while using your own domain?

Cheers.

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

3. Systreg

Systreg Well-Known Member

I'm the same, Jamie, always used Yahoo for years, I have set up some email addresses on some of my domains, and I guess it would be the same to access them on a mobile phone as it is on a computer, to get to them you just go to xxxxx.co.uk/webmail and login there.

4. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member Exclusive Member

5. Murray United Kingdom

Murray Well-Known Member

Looks more professional using your own email I have to say.

I use murray**at**murraydomains.co.uk to reply to any domain inquiries.

It runs off roundcube which I think is used quite a lot.

I have it linked up to my iphone, you just have to enter a bit of information you will find from your host.

6. Retired_Member38

Retired_Member38 Banned

Google Apps for Business gets another vote here. Its really easy to use and setup. Plus if you have various staff members you can easily keep an eye over what they're doing.

And with everything being web based, if you fire someone / they quit / they're off sick for a week and you need their work / a laptop gets left on a bus etc etc its not a disaster, everything is there and online.

We don't use anything at all outside of the email... but for £33/year per user its easily worth the money.

7. Jamie101 United States

Thanks everyone.

Decided to set up jamie at jamiefarrelly.com and it looks like roundcube works straight away with it thanks to hostgator. Now to set it up on my phone. Will probably still use my Yahoo one a good bit though. Thanks again.

8. invincible

invincible Well-Known Member

If your have a firstnamesurname.tld domain name I think it looks better to just use your initials before the @. :)

(from iPhone)

9. Jamie101 United States

Was just thinking about that actually. Might as well get all this sorted before I start emailing people!

I was thinking either jf@mydomain.com or contact@mydomain.com

10. invincible

The first for your own personal mailbox in my opinion. Shorter. Logical. Not repetitive.

(from iPhone)

11. jonbyrne United Kingdom

jonbyrne Member

12. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member Exclusive Member

How about something like writetome@ or contactme@?

Just thinking out loud here, but something like a couple of letters before the "@" is pretty much bound to be a spam magnet, isn't it, given that spammers target thousands of "common" email addresses?

13. invincible

I don't like it because it sounds too much like an instruction when speaking over the telephone. "My email address is email@mydomain.com" and the other person omits the "email" element thinking you were saying email "@mydomain.com". Same applies to mail and contact.

(from iPhone)

14. Jamie101 United States

Thanks everyone.

I can't decide if jf@mydomain.com is the best or not. I see why it looks good, but at the same time I think some people could see jf@ and then think spam straight away like Edwin said. It's actually a tough one to decide.

I kind of like contact@mydomain.com the more I think about it.

15. invincible

I don't understand the spam argument especially as the letters would appear to match the first letters of the names in the domain name element. Go for contact if you want but good luck with saying it to dopey people over the telephone! :) Alias one to the other if you want. Whatever you like! :)

(from iPhone)

16. Jamie101 United States

Decided to use contact@ mydomain.com in the end.

Hopefully it'll help me a bit. Should've done this years ago, only takes a few minutes!

17. invincible

I'm happy for you. Anything else you'd like help making a decision about whilst we're talking? :)

(from iPhone)

18. Jamie101 United States

Can you help me decide if I should spend loads of time and money trying to buy .org.uk's and .me.uk's that are older than the .co.uk version? :cool:

Not really, thanks for the help :p

19. Skinner

Skinner Well-Known Member

I don't know about yahoo but with gmail you can set your own domains to work with gmail, this works for me for the most part, gmail auto checks all my pop3 boxes and archives me my mail.

edit: I use mail@ and I have a personal priority one which sends a text to me also.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2013
  20. lee United Kingdom

lee Active Member

I would use jf as the email, contact looks too corporate and not at all friendly.

I use firstname@lastname.eu. I cannot believe that anyone uses Yahoo for email :D:mrgreen: - its a surprise that anyone ever bothers to email you back at all! - If you are selling or buying anything on line, you simply have to use your own domain, anything else will just not be taken seriously at all.

21. invincible

Loads of people buy domain names from behind @gmail.com email address including many IP protection companies. Easy and quick and doesn't put too many IP addresses in the headers. As long as you state who you are in the signature I don't think it gets a second glance.

(from iPhone)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.