Domain Manage

Virgin email help

Discussion in 'General Board' started by scooter, Jul 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scooter United Kingdom

scooter Well-Known Member

Anybody able to talk me through the settings for setting up your own domain for email through virgin.

My father has signed just signed up with them and he can't get his email to send. It will receive ok but not send.

EG: bloggs.co.uk

For outgoing it is set to smtp.virginmedia.com

Does he need to have authentication on? Or what am I missing? (He's 77 so it is easier if I can talk him through it rather than their help line)

Thanks for any help.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2010
  2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

3. aZooZa

aZooZa Well-Known Member Exclusive Member

4. scooter United Kingdom

Thanks aZooZa I tried this but it does not work. It's only for their own personal addy whatever@viginmedia.com (although you would think it would work for other addresses)

5. aZooZa

aZooZa Well-Known Member Exclusive Member

You'd need to use password authentication if you're trying to use Virgin's smtp server for another domain, if that's what you mean. Not sure Virgin allows this anyway.

6. scooter United Kingdom

After 15mins of waiting to speak to a person and then 10mins of speaking to a call centre in India :rolleyes: I have given up. He can just log in via my server using squirrelmail. This way I get to keep my sanity.

No offence to the people working there but I hate Indian call centres. You spend half your time repeating yourself and the other half talking over each other due to the time lapse. Plus your ear gets sore as you have to insert your phone half way into your brain just to be able to hear the person.

Thanks for your help aZooZa.

7. retired_member21

retired_member21 Retired Member

Scooter

If you are using someone like Krystal - AFAIK you can connect to their secure mail port SSL 25/465/587 and I don't have to authenticate with any ISPs when sending mail

Maybe worth a shot (tried + tested with bt)

8. scooter United Kingdom

Thanks for this. I will look into it.

Much appreciated.

9. AssetDomains United Kingdom

AssetDomains Well-Known Member

Not sure if you have this sorted virgin were having major issues last week with emails last week so your problems may be down that.
    Just checked and my outgoing details are still set to smtp.ntlworld.com which still works might be worth giving that a try.

10. scooter United Kingdom

Virgin do have major issues. Namely customer service. 15mins hanging on until you get to speak to a person is not acceptable to me. Then speaking to an outsourced call centre where english is a second language is not acceptable to me. Are you reading this Richard? :roll: Is this value for money? Stop scrimping on the customer service as the customers are your bread and butter. WE dont live in India. We live in the UK and my father is paying a UK company for a UK service so why am I being forced to speak to someone who has a hard time understanding my dialect?

I wonder what happens with Indian companies? Are they put through to the UK? :lol:

Thanks for the info newpbc but I am done with Virgin.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.