Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Watches.co.uk

Discussion in 'General Board' started by philiporchard, Nov 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BREWSTERS United Kingdom

BREWSTERS Well-Known Member

Bingo.

Substance over style - I'll take pounds vs complements.

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. fish United Kingdom

fish Well-Known Member

Take your point but what about the user experience?

If you don't like the look of the food you are eating then you either won't eat it or if you do it'll diminish the taste experience.

IMO the same goes for websites. If they are not appealing you lose buyers, & they won't come back nor recommend you.

4. BREWSTERS United Kingdom

I have zero design ability whatsoever so probably shouldn't be passing comment on that aspect. However, I could find the watch I was interested in, in about 20 seconds.

5. denchomsky United Kingdom

denchomsky Well-Known Member

Exactly there is definitely correlation between aesthetic beauty and trust, its a design fact, its called the Aesthetic Usability Effect

"The Aesthetic-Usability Effect is a condition whereby users perceive more aesthetically pleasing designs to be easier to use than less aesthetically pleasing designs."

The attractive product will be perceived as easier to use. Ease of use is often a criteria in purchase decisions – easy to use products require less training and support. So by improving the attractiveness it increases the perceived ease of use – improving the chances of making a sale
    Users will be more likely to develop positive feelings towards the attractive product. This can lead to:

o Positive reviews – leading to more sales
    o They’ll tell their friends – resulting in more sales leads
    o They’ll tolerate faults more – reducing support calls

The attractive product will be perceived as of higher quality
    And, perhaps most importantly; customers may overlook feature deficiencies so they get to use the more attractive product

So there you go Brewsters, Good design = Trust = Money.;)

• Like Like x 1
  6. BREWSTERS United Kingdom

Spoken like a true designer ;)

7. denchomsky United Kingdom

denchomsky Well-Known Member

Well I copied and pasted most of that, but it's in a book I have Called The Universal Principles of Design, which I recommend, as it's full of fascinating design facts, which are applicable to all design not just websites.

Cheers.

8. jimm United Kingdom

jimm Active Member

Welcome to the site.
    I would be interested in the traffic you get from TV adds and the profile of the traffic (IE spike when its on or steady increase over the champagne etc)?

9. edo

edo Active Member

Good stuff advertising on TV. I would say even better being number 1 in google.co.uk for the search term "watches". That takes some doing. What do people think of watches.org.uk?

10. Watchescouk

Watchescouk Member

Watches.co.uk at position 3 in google.co.uk for the term watches. .org.uk, not seen them in the top 10 results.

Can be a constant battle optimising for Google :)

11. Watchescouk

Watchescouk Member

Greg,

Thanks for the PM, please clear your inbox so I can reply :)

Thanks

Shahid

12. Watchescouk

Watchescouk Member

Hi Jimm,

Normally you will find although traffic may not spike initially, the trust factor kicks in with TV. Conversion tends to increase with brand recognition from tv campaigns. I have experienced this with multiple brands both big and small.

Shahid

13. Watchescouk

Watchescouk Member

Which watch were you looking at?

When I first went to watches.co.uk, it was like being a kid in a candy shop. Saw the watch I wanted online, then in the flesh found myself wanting so many others.

14. BREWSTERS United Kingdom

Tag Heure Monaco

15. philiporchard United Kingdom

philiporchard Well-Known Member

Kiriums are nice too. Bought mine 7 or 8 years ago, and still as sweet as new. Though it should do really at £50 per service!

16. JMOT

JMOT Active Member

Ive bought off watches.co.uk before. The site does a good enough job and the site in its current state is a million times better than it was a few years ago.

If only contactlenses.co.uk would sort their site out too... I buy off them every 3 months ;)

Tom

17. philiporchard United Kingdom

philiporchard Well-Known Member

Owner of ContactLenses.co.uk is on this forum too ;)

18. JMOT

JMOT Active Member

I know. That designer should have gone to specsavers lol

I remain loyal tho as they have faultless service and competitive prices!

:)

19. Frog

Frog Active Member

99designs is a horrendous idea in this situation. Most of the designers are low end and won't perform a good job. Thats fine if you have some garbage affiliate site, but your domain is simply too good to be designed there.

Its easy to see why no good designers enter competitions there. If you were any good at your job, you wouldn't want to fully complete the work, then compete against 30 other people to see who was the best, with only one of you being paid. And even then the pay is at bargain bin levels.

I'd go find a proper design company you are happy with, and hire them to do it.

Not exactly relevant here though. The food *is* the experience - a watch website is merely a distraction on the way to getting the experience (owning the nice watch).

But since a redesign only needs doing once, and in comparison to the domain price it'll be insignificant, its definitely worth doing properly.

20. Ashton Canada

Ashton Well-Known Member

@Frog : With a high enough offer on the table then the good designers come out of the woodworks and you can actually get some nice designs. However its not going to be a $500 job.

If you want a great studio to make the site, i recommend kyanmedia.com :)

21. Frog

Frog Active Member

I've not looked there in a few months (I but loads of logos from their store though), I'm just off for some Italian and I'm going to take a proper look through the competitions. The last time I checked, they were all garbage. I still don't think any truely high end designers are going to enter, on the offchance of being paid. If you've got any specific competitions in mind if you've got the links that'll be great, if not I'll have a browse :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.