Domain Manage

Web Seasonality

Discussion in 'Domain Parking - General' started by Brassneck, May 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brassneck United Kingdom

Brassneck Well-Known Member

Does anybody know of a good source of stats on how web activity varies over the months of the year, and also by how much it is increasing each year.

Clearly parking revenue varies over the months, but it is difficult to work out exactly how since my portfolio is always growing.

From my experience the worst months appear to July, August and December. Best ones October, November, January through March.

As all my portfolio is uk extensions I guess the World Cup is going to have a massive impact this summer.

Any thoughts/evidence from others?

Stephen.

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

3. denchomsky United Kingdom

denchomsky Well-Known Member

4. accelerator United Kingdom

accelerator Well-Known Member

5. retired_member30

retired_member30 Retired Member

From our experience

Good months - January thro' to 2nd half of August

OK months - 2nd half of August, Sept and Oct

Poor month - Nov

Dreadful month - Dec

We hold quite a few holiday/flight domains and they seem to do well from Jan right thro' to 2nd half of Aug. We also hold some student domains that really do well from about now to Sept/Oct. We hold very few gift/Christmas type domains that would do well in Nov/early Dec. I think the seasonal effect very much depends on the portfolio you hold.

I suppose the parking companies such as sedo and name drive would have some very good statistics on this

Last edited: May 15, 2006
  6. retired_member26

retired_member26 Banned

Well not actually. I have a holiday beaches and resorts domain and it peaks up at january and decrease continually by december. (The reason could be people plan their holiday around December to save?) For a well balanced portfolio Novermber and December are best and then it decreases up to April than holds a steady level.

Check this

http://www.google.com/trends?q=beaches+resorts&ctab=0&geo=US&date=all

Also check this for total searches in UK (I think it is all but not sure)

http://www.google.com/trends?q=www&ctab=0&geo=GB&date=all

7. NameDriver

NameDriver NameDrive Staff

In my experience, it seems that, although PPC may not take a huge hit in Summer, the very fact that, if the weather's nicer in summer, people are simply not clicking on domains. As a result of fewer people being online, the PPC prices also tends to dip. Not if you have travel and holiday domains, though, you lucky man, Nigel :)
    I'm not a huge fan of summer, revenue-wise. Always secretly hoping for a downturn in the weather so that people stay at home and click!
    Just sitting outside a café for lunch today made me realise that all the beautiful people walking around with no clothes on aren't clicking on ads...
    Summer weekends in particular are very disappointing. On our system, we can see that the weekends are already receiving fewer views in May than in March.

Just a view from the other side of the fence.

Ed

8. stender United Kingdom

stender Well-Known Member

I would guess the summer months will tail off, what with people on hols etc....
    Definately the case on ebay. Things drop off until end september and pick up before xmas. Record section anyway.:)

9. retired_member30

retired_member30 Retired Member

You're right about the weather Ed

Lovely rain here all day today and PPC is definitely up :)

10. charlie

charlie Well-Known Member

Dunno about anyone else but i'm having a bumper month - but not 100% sure as i keep adding new ones and not selling! :D

neck and neck on both featured parking progs with similar numbers of domains - rough test

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.