Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

What do i need to catch drops?

Discussion in 'Drop catching Domain Names' started by leelee, Jan 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leelee

leelee Member

Im new to all this domain stuff and was wondering what i need to be able to catch domains. Im guessing il need a TAG but what else do i need?

Am i right in thinking that if you have a TAG then you have access to drop lists?

Thanks
    (a confused newbie)

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. Skinner

Skinner Well-Known Member

You'll need A Tag, which is around £500-600 for the first year including VAT, then about £100 a year after inc VAT, then DAC access which is about £35 a year including VAT, I have rounded up the prices a bit to make it easier :)

Then your best bet as a newbie is to use http://www.Caught.co.uk's drop catching who is AquaNuke on here, or if you fancy something with many more options try DROPSYSTEM.CO.UK :: What will YOU catch today? who is Azooza on here. The prices range from around £200-300 a month on DAC hosting for them, but around £150-500 a month for some others out there, the options, speed and flexibility comes at a price.

The hard way is write your own script which saves you DAC hosting but it aint easy.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2009
  4. leelee

leelee Member

Thanks for that info Skinner.

So DAC access is different to DAC hosting? How do you get DAC access?
    And if i get a TAG what does that give me over someone who doesn't have a TAG as from what i can gather (and im prob wrong) the only difference is you get access to droplists before people without a TAG, and lists can be found on the net anyway.

Or is it that you need a TAG to be able to get DAC access and hosting?
    So many questions! :rolleyes:

5. grantw United Kingdom

grantw Well-Known Member

You need to be a Nominet member to get DAC access and you need to be a TAG holder to use Nominets systems to register domains.

Nominet don't supply drop lists you need to sort those yourself.

Grant

6. leelee

leelee Member

Thanks for that i really have got it all wrong. :confused:

How do you go about getting lists then? I thought this was done through Nominet and that you had access to expiring domains before the general public did.

7. grantw United Kingdom

grantw Well-Known Member

8. grantw United Kingdom

grantw Well-Known Member

You really need to read the Nominet website and this forum thoroughly, all your questions will be answered.

Grant

9. leelee

leelee Member

10. ratboy United Kingdom

ratboy Well-Known Member

Reading this forum is your best bet. In amongst the waffle are gems of info that no one will tell you. People will keep info close to their chest as is to be expected.

It's taken me 3 years and I'm still crap at it, but everyday is a school day they say!

11. stender United Kingdom

stender Well-Known Member

And dont expect any more info than that. You may as well ask for peoples cards and pin numbers!

Your probably better off just booking catches with people. There are many on here who will catch for you if they have availability.

www.namesmart.co.uk also does .co.uk domain droplists for £40 pm.

12. retired_member12

retired_member12 Retired Member

Basically, you've no f**kin' chance as a member of the public, hand over your reddies to Nominet for the membership benefits!

13. unet United Kingdom

unet Active Member

easier just to use snapnames.com and let them do the work for you. they are pant at .co.uk's but good on the rest of them

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.