Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

What do you think of using a domain like this?

Discussion in 'Domain Research' started by Jamie101, May 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jamie101 Ireland

Jamie101 Well-Known Member

I've an idea for a new site which is going to cost a good amount of money to make (for me anyway!). Obviously if I'm going to be spending a lot of money getting a site developed I also want to have a domain that people will remember etc.

However, I'm not the best with coming up with great brandable names for sites. The good news is that this site won't be depending on search engines for traffic so I don't really need it to be like "keyword.com".

So, what do you think about a domain that's one word and has two of the same letters at the end of it (when normally it only has one). A good example is fiverr.com I suppose.

Personally I think it could be a good option, especially since what I'm thinking about is FTR. Just wanted to see what others think about it.

At the end of the day, if people like my site they'll be back - right?

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

It always helps to have a memorable domain to promote the site but these days content is king, if you have a "sticky" site it will be because of whatever benefits it brings the visitor, the domain is just subsidiary to that and part of your branding.

I'm never sure about typos of normal words though, I am sure it must leak traffic to the real spelling plus when you speak it, in your example the extra R is silent, unless you says "fiverrrrrrrr".

Reminds me of people spending money on radio ads promoting for example "scotland.com" where the ad says "for more details visit scotland.com" - free advertising for the site "visitscotland.com" ;-)

Give it more thought but put most of your time into the content.

Admin

4. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member

I'd go for something longer but "spelled correctly" e.g. combine a colour and an animal, or something like that (check that it's not already in use, of course, and pick something catchy and easy to spell). It will be more memorable than a misspelled word ('Fiverr') and since you don't care about keywords it should do the job readily enough.

5. seemly

seemly Well-Known Member

assuming that means it's a typo, I would avoid.

Problem is, if you are not targeting search engine traffic and you want returning traffic, it's even more important to be both memorable and easy to spell - which is obviously a lot more difficult with a typo/quirky/brandable domain.

With not having a large budget for marketing (I assume), then yet again, the typo brandable will fall on it's arse (in my opinion).

Try these name generators:
    http://www.dotomator.com/web20.html
    http://www.switchplane.com/awesome/business-name-generator/

Last edited: May 24, 2013
  6. AuthorityDomain United States

AuthorityDomain Active Member

Fiverr has done really well and they either brought fiver.com during or afterwards possibly because of the typo reasons.

I liked the typo type branded names we've discussed via twitter Jamie, but I tend to agree with others, try and get something memorable and suited to your business idea if you can.

7. Jamie101 Ireland

Thanks everyone. Maybe there are too many negatives about buying a domain like fiverr.com to make it worthwhile. Will try think of something that's better over the next few weeks or so.

8. cc976a United Kingdom

cc976a Well-Known Member

There is a consideration to the type of industry your moving in to and where your traffic is going to come from.

These mis-spellings are quite common in the US startup world today. You can't successfully advertise these on the radio - but online, print media and TV ads work fine.

I actually quite like them, I prefer these mis-spellings than a brandable two word - BUT it depends on the industry. If you're not targeting a net savvy audience, your chances of success reduces to mis-spellings, confusion etc... The ultimate is the singular, correct spelling, but you'll need deep pockets.

Another option is an e prefix (eBay, eHarmony etc...) or an i prefix iPlayer, iPhone etc...). Keeps it short, memorable and still pretty much one word - plus cheaper on those pockets!

9. Jamie101 Ireland

That's an interesting point actually. I think I would be targetting quite savvy people (people who want to save money online) so maybe the domain that I'm thinking about could work. Doubt I'll ever need to use radio ads too.

Tried checking for a few domains with i/e at the start and didn't get too much luck, apart from one particular domain which I could buy on 123 Reg for £1,000,000 :cool:

10. Murray

Murray Well-Known Member

any good *word*savvy.com suitable domains available?

11. Jamie101 Ireland

I'll check soon. I'll PM you the domain I'm thinking about if you don't mind? Always good to get a second opinion on something.

I kind of like it, and it's related to what the site will be doing too.

12. Murray

Murray Well-Known Member

Yep I don't mind giving another opinion.

I was thinking about bad domain names and llymlrs com sprang to mind, very popular blogger but awful domain name (her name without the vowels), but doesn't seem to be holding her back so :cool:

13. Jamie101 Ireland

Cheers. Will send you a PM in a min.

That is awful alright. But then again I remember seeing a few sites that done that (without the vowels) and I kind of liked it, but can't remember them now. :p Maybe for very short words it'd be good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.