Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

What happens when a domain is listed for sale at two different places?

Discussion in 'Business Discussions' started by addz123, Jul 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. addz123 United Kingdom

addz123 Active Member

My question is what happens when the same domain is listed for sale with a different BIN at two different places?

I've got a situation where I bought the domain at BIN on Sedo.com but I see it's also currently for sale at Name.com auction too (different price), where it's also registered.

What would happen for instance if I bought the domain at Sedo.com and then someone else bought the domain at Name.com soon afterwards where it's registered?

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. bensd United Kingdom

bensd Well-Known Member

It would depend on the morals of the seller...

4. Retired_member41

Retired_member41 Retired Member

Did you mean would name.com stop the transfer. I'm guessing they would.

5. addz123 United Kingdom

addz123 Active Member

Ye.

I mean technically the domain would be sold at Sedo.com first so then all bets are off. However, I'm not sure if there's anything stopping Name.com from selling the domain through their site (since that's where it's registered) and then telling Sedo.com that the domain is now illegible for sale.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2013
  6. fish United Kingdom

fish Well-Known Member

What was (if any) was the price difference between the two vendors?

Sedo have partner agreements (when the domain owner opts-in via sedo) to sell through it's network. The cost price for the buyer (you) depends on who you buy from ie sedo or 3rd party. The 3rd party will charge what ever they like (can get away with).

7. addz123 United Kingdom

addz123 Active Member

The price different is around 50%.

i.e. $500 at one place, $750 at another.

8. PaulGregory

PaulGregory Active Member

So we need a price comparison engine for domain name sales?

There's a lot of guesswork here, and I'm only going to add more.

If the name.com BIN is actually syndicated from Sedo but with an uplift, then there's a good chance it's running data that is not live. I assume that when a buyer actually tries to click the name.com BIN they'll be told someone beat them to it.

If the seller has deliberately listed the same domain in two separate systems, then it will depend on how automated the second one is. If someone buys it and name.com automatically transfers it before the seller can honour their Sedo sale, then the technical technicalities will trump the legal technicalities. (You could mount a legal challenge for the domain, or at the very least half the difference in price, but that's not automatic). It is the seller's responsibility to remove an item from sale if it is no longer available, not Sedo or Name.com.

There is a third scenario where name.com sales are tied to the ownership, so you buy it at Sedo and then someone buys it from name.com for $750 *after* the transfer - so you get the money!

Of course, the other way of looking at this thread is that you have agreed to pay $750, then realised that you could have had it for $500 elsewhere, and are now wondering if you could just get a tame aunt to buy it for less...

But if you have bought low, ask the seller to remove all other advertisements for the domain.

9. addz123 United Kingdom

addz123 Active Member

Thanks.

What confuses me is that is has the Sedo domain parking page disclaimer and Sedo logo in the footer (but no link to the Sedo sales page), then it has the "Buy this domain, This domain is available for purchase" link in the header which goes to Name.com.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.