Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

What Makes A Good Domain - Any Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Domain Research' started by domsaleuk, Jun 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. domsaleuk

domsaleuk Active Member

Hi,

I have recently written this article and put it online, which I am hoping will be helpful to new domainers on this forum.

For more experienced domainers I would be very keen to hear comments, constructive criticism (non - constructive if you must!) and any ideas on any important things that you think may have have been missed out!

http://www.domain-list.co.uk/what-makes-good-domain.shtml

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. Bailey United Kingdom

Bailey Well-Known Member

Its an easy to read piece but, Trying to cover all the relevant points in 1,500 words is never really feasible - I am going to disagree with you on the point of "Age of a domain"

To my mind, some of the best opportunities for new entrants can actually be in exploring new developing market areas for their domain speculations, and you won't find much history there.

4. domsaleuk

domsaleuk Active Member

re point about "age"

Oh yes - that is a good point and one I have overlooked. My point about age is in reference to site development and how age generally seems to assist from an SEO perspective which I firmly believe it does.

However I agree with what you are saying, as if a domain is picked up covering a new area utilising the exact keywords then it is likely to do as well if not better than an aged domain with not so good keywords.

I will try and incorporate a reference to this somewhere within the article

Thanks for the feedback

5. accelerator United Kingdom

accelerator Well-Known Member

Domains are a case of horses for courses, e.g. what makes a good brandable domain, what makes a good domain for an affiliate site, what is the best domain to choose for your small business, what makes a good geo domain etc etc. You really need to offer advice for each type of domain.

More domain examples would be good too.

Good effort in having written something though.

Rgds

6. crabfoot United Kingdom

crabfoot Active Member

You didn't mention "keywords that pay"> looky, if you're selling digital cameras, you get lots of traffic if you own digital-cameras .co.uk, but if you want the traffic to click on the "buy now" and this year's hot camera is the Pandemonic 463, you'll sell a lot more if you own pandemonic463 .co.uk.

Of course, that is a bad example, you'd run into copyright issues and Pandemonic would hit you with C&D letters - oh, you didn't really cover that, either ...

7. domsaleuk

domsaleuk Active Member

Thanks for the comments

Ok - I think I kind of meant your first point to be covered generally by the keyword section but it is a good point and there probably should be some emphasis on the creation of very "niche" sites on more long-tail type generics to make people aware that these are likely to create better conversions etc

I agree with you re the copyright / trade mark issues too and there should be some reference to this ideally - i.e. advising people that they are best to steer clear of these issues

I think what I will do is leave this post running and hopefully get some more constructive comments and rather than having one very long page - I will then do a secondary page

Regards :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.