Domain Manage

What names would be most affective by .uk

Discussion in 'General Board' started by namealot, Feb 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. namealot United Kingdom

namealot Well-Known Member

What names would be most affected by .uk

What names will be most affected by the proposed .uk I think one will be geo’s as many were not developed so unlikely to be eligible for any pre reg also less seemed to be trademarks etc what do other's think willl be hit ?

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

3. Murray United Kingdom

Murray Well-Known Member

I guess you could phrase this two ways..

Instead of hit, what potential opportunities will there to be :cool:

4. DaveP United Kingdom

DaveP Well-Known Member

If direct uk goes ahead all types of domains will be hit, whether LL, LLL, generic, emd, brandable etc.

It's the big time portfolio holders who own top notch premium domains that are most pissed off with this because at some point or another down the years they've most likely rejected a nice sum of money for their domains and if .uk goes ahead well the value of their portfolios will plummet significantly.

As Murray said if it goes ahead we need to look at the opportunities here. :)

5. websaway United Kingdom

websaway Well-Known Member

I would have thought that this is hard to derermine without knowing who will have what rights.

6. DaveP United Kingdom

DaveP Well-Known Member

Very true. Let me rephrase, "we need to look at the opportunities (if any) here". ;)

7. Murray United Kingdom

Murray Well-Known Member

If direct.uk is released obviously it's nice to speculate on the best outcome personally.

8. Brassneck United Kingdom

Brassneck Well-Known Member

Will be interesting to know how many generics .org.uk have been developed with the .co.uk held by domainers undeveloped. Could be a fair bit of pain there if the developed site gives rights to the .uk version. I developed a fair number of my .org.uk generic names (could never have afforded the .co.uk versions) but obviously would take the .uk options if I can get them.

9. websaway United Kingdom

A big IF

10. AssetDomains United Kingdom

AssetDomains Well-Known Member

Yup would be interesting to see especially if it went down to the me.uk as well hold a couple of nice terms there. Would there be an possibility hyphens could get unregistered rights to non hyphenated counterpart not in use.
    If they go with all any.uk get a seat at the .uk auction will that up the value of are domains.

11. AssetDomains United Kingdom

AssetDomains Well-Known Member

Also if eu trademark holders get a seat would .eu domain holders be given unregistered rights

12. Sound United Kingdom

Sound Well-Known Member

The names most affected by .uk will be the ones owned by large portfolio owners.
    Who will have to decide if they have deep pockets to register .uk at £20 a pop

£20,000 for every 1000 names per year

I don't believe they will sell any-more domains than they do now maybe considerably less as they will want to sell both domains as pairs which the end user may-not be interested to do.

13. Bailey United Kingdom

Bailey Well-Known Member

My gut feel is the vast majority of domain investors and business will in-time switch to using .uk.
    Both .co.uk, .org.uk will become a wasteland (apart from some personal usage) in time

Surprisingly though this didn't happen in Japan with the later alternative offering of .JP against the earlier and more established .co.jp

Talking about winners and losers though. I believe Nominet will be also be a loser in the long run. (apart from the initial windfall) As I quite easily see total domains in the UK space halving from it's current (pre announcement) 10 million to around 5 million in total

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  14. websaway United Kingdom

Personalities aside, it's a win win win win situation for nominet.

and Pain Pain Pain for everyone else.

That's if it gets the go ahead, reservations here though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.