Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

What to do with threats?

Discussion in 'Domain Name Disputes' started by domainer, Mar 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. domainer United Kingdom

domainer Active Member

Today I received an enquiry about a domain name I have owned since 2000. An offer was made for £30 - it is a co.uk that was bought for a project but never used. I replied I would not be interested in the current offer but did not solicit a larger one.

The reply was:

Hello xxxx,

Thank you for coming back to me about this.

The offer I have made is based on the price we pay for domain name, I am not prepared to offer more because my alternative action is to pursue getting the name back via legal means; have a read of this and come back to me: http://www.nominet.org.uk/disputes/drs/

We have gone through this process before and have got the domains back on all three occasions.

If you want me to pick up the cost for domain transfer I am prepared to do that also but it’s is up to you.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Is this guy for real?

Any advice? The domain is not a trademark and the co.uk was the only domain extention regged untill they regged the com 10 days ago.

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. rob

rob Founding Member

Depends on the domain, if you think you have a strong position say you will look forward to defending the DRS :)

4. retired_member11

retired_member11 Retired Member

Ask them to reveal the three other domains so that your legal rep can take a closer look at their grounds. An entirely reasonable request.

5. olebean United Kingdom

olebean Well-Known Member

Domainer

I would reply thanking them for the email, state you feel you are the bona fid holder of the domain and are unaware of having breached any of nominets rules. Equally, you are concerned that the manner of approach does not explain their reasoning or belief of legitimacy.

You should ask them to explain further, why they believe they have rights to the domain....

6. tifosi United Kingdom

tifosi Well-Known Member

1. Check the DRS policy. Have you used the domain in an abusive way? Not using the domain is NOT abuse.

2. KEEP THE MAILS. It is evidence that THEY contacted you. And that you did not originally solicit a $$$ from them.

3. Is the domain generic? Did you register the domain with knowledge / or intent to sell to their company?

4. If they are a registered company then they are close to blackmailing you. Hard to prove, but the evidence is there... the mail is malicious at least.

I'd not engage them further. No more exchanges unless they invoke the drs.

S

7. Whois-Search

Whois-Search Well-Known Member

Tell him he can have it for £750

8. aquanuke

aquanuke Well-Known Member

Plus 17.5% £881.25 ;)

9. paymatters United Kingdom

paymatters Active Member

I'd have thought because they've offered you something for the domain they've accepted that you legally own it! (and that this will work against them)

10. retired_member6

retired_member6 Banned

I'd reply with 'orange horse curtain burp' and leave it at that.

They've bought a dot com and then threatened a DRS days after? they state they've done this trick thrice before and the defendent rightly told them to ahem 'clear off' and then they went on to win each case? Use my reply after finding out what the three previous domains were.

Only by knowing those three domains will you prove their scam and no reply equally so and three cases from the same complainant? Hardly... what's the whois name, does it match to any previous case? Check http://www.nominet.org.uk/disputes/drs/decisions/ of course the defendent could have buckled at mediation or seen payment made but we'll never know due to the silly way mediation is hidden from the public.

After reading their form of English it would suggest they're foreigners on a scam. Once word gets out about the DRS, and it will in the end, I suspect there will be tons of scams just like this one and unfortunately some will give in and just accept the threat without realising what has happened.

Edit: Furthermore, name and shame the scam artists if that's what they are.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2006
  11. mikeb

mikeb Member

Those characters look like thieves.
    Giv'em nothing.
    They'll NEVER pay a decent price.
    Theives never do.

12. diablo

diablo Well-Known Member

Looks like a scam email - not the first and far from the best

Is it from a real email adress or hotmail.com? I bet the latter. Do they include full business contact details? I bet not.

13. stender United Kingdom

stender Well-Known Member

Give him a fictitious solicitors contact details and say Your solicitor is awaiting his contact to take the matter further. If he comes back and says the details you gave were no good you know he's serious.
    I'll bet you don't hear from him again though.

Or send the acorn vigilanty group round for a visit:-D

14. zee United Kingdom

zee Well-Known Member

drs

Never answer first one, if, by the tine you may or may not recieve a second one, have a quick holding page made up using words and letters, [ ie bbc = buy birthday cards and take print out, you will have date and time on page and proof you had legitimate use of domain at time, most will quit, also check who signs paperwork,if a very junior person, more than likley sabre rattling to pad costs on clients a/c, end of story..z

15. MDUK United Kingdom

MDUK Active Member

i have had an offer of £10 via Sedo for one of mine from somebody using a gmail account (the email address was an anagram of the name he gave) does that sound familiar?

16. Paullas

Paullas Super Moderator Staff Member

how do you know you have had an offer on sedo via gmail??? i thought you where not suppose to know who has made offers on sedo..

17. MDUK United Kingdom

MDUK Active Member

Sorry it was namedrive (i was going from memory) haven't had one before so don't know if it was right or wrong.

Domain: xxxxxxx.co.uk
    Offer: GBP 10
    Name: xxxxxx xxxxxx
    E-mail: xxxxxxxx@gmail.com
    Phone: +44 xxxxxxxx
    Comment: I am interested in buying this domain.

18. El Dude

El Dude Member

Hmmm. A company decides to contact about wanting their name back after 6 years!!!?

Have a look on Web Archive and see if there was any content on their pre 2K.

EDIT: OLD THREAD, SORRY.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.